Minimum Graphics Card requirement for Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MoxieFan, Sep 13, 2012.

1. MoxieFan macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2005
    My iMac 9,1 early 2009 is in the shop with Apple now because it would not start without using Safe Boot after I had installed Mountain Lion. Apple Genius Bar rep tested, HD Ok, reinstalled Mountain Lion, no help. He then wiped the HD, reinstalled again. Sill would go dark after the start-up wheel stopped. - He felt it was the graphics card causing the problem. After getting home, and doing some Googling, I started to encounter some articles about 32 bit - 64 bit issues with some of the older installed cards. I had the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 256 MB installed in mine. Does anyone have access to a resource confirming whether that particular card is or is not compatible with Mountain Lion ?
  2. JootecFromMars macrumors member

Jun 10, 2012
    Any Core 2 Duo or newer iMac with anything other than an ATI X1600 GPU can run Mountain Lion.
  3. Garrod macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2008
    If it is the GPU I'd suspect it's not how powerful it is - I'd be more inclined to think that it was failing rather than some other componant. I had graphics anonamolies with my old Core 2 Duo iMac. I wrote about it in depth here if it is any help: might help you diagnose the problems at least - the Apple store I kept going back to were next to useless.