Minimum Install of Mavericks. Is it possible?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by rockinmyshoe, Jan 3, 2014.

1. rockinmyshoe macrumors newbie

Is it possible to do a minimum install of Mavericks. Without all the extras, pages, other nonessential apps.

There reason for doing so is I'm creating a virtual install of Mavericks to install Mavericks Server on for development. And I want to keep the size 'smaller', more manageable, plus less need to update unwanted apps.

Any thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iWork and iLife apps are not included in Mavericks. you get the OS, iTunes and Safari, basically a minimum install.

To specifically answer your question there is no options to control what does or notes get installed

3. pullman macrumors 6502

pullman

Sorry to revive this old thread but I was wondering the same thing. In past OS X versions there was a Customize button where one could deselect things like printer drivers etc to save space.

Is Mavericks deliberately "bare bones", then, if this option no longer exists?

4. alex0002 macrumors 6502

How bare bones do you need? I haven't installed the iLife apps since installing OS X 10.9.3 and I'm using a total of 32GB, remove the 20GB used under /Users and it would be about 12GB, remove a few applications and I'm guessing the basic OS X installation isn't much more than 10GB.

Note: I've configured mine to use no hibernation file otherwise it would use a little more.

5. pullman macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks for the reply. I just installed and it's actually quite small, 11GB on mine without any additions. I seem to remember Leopard was sub-10 but 11GB isn't bad.

Cheers
    Philip

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

From Lion onwards, where Internet Recovery could be used, if you did a clean install, it'd only install the OS itself and nothing else other than built-in utilities such as Disk Utility, Terminal, Activity Monitor.....etc.

iWork and iLife aren't part of the OS installation.