Minimum internet speed required?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RedCroissant, Jun 24, 2012.

1. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello everyone. I'm trying to decide wether or not to switch internet providers and need some help. I am currently signed up with Coxand (thanks to a promotion) my 18Mbps up/4 Mbps down I am paying $44 per month for internet only.

My question to everyone here is: Which speed would be best for my usage?

My usage: 2 iMacs, Macbook Pro, AppleTV2, iPad2, and two iPhones use the wireless network I set up with my Airport extreme and one of my macs has my media library that I stream to my TV. My wife and I aren't power users, but we are online students, use email, social sites, Netflix streaming, basic surfing for the most part, airplay/mirroring.

Cox is offering the following: 27Mbps/6Mbps, 18/4, 3/384Kbps

CenturyLink:40/5, 20/5, 12/5, 7/5, 1.5/896Kbps

I just want to know if I'm paying for a service that I am fully utilizing. Thank you in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no "right answer" to this, as it's very much a personal preference. Regardless of how much you use the internet, what speeds are you satisfied with? Many people could still operate with a slower internet connection, but they would be frustrated by having to wait longer for some things. Choose whatever service provides a speed you can live with at a price you can afford.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Netflix needs the most speed of what you do, and you could get away with the 3/384K from Cox or the 7/5 from CenturyLink if it is cheaper.

Airplay/mirroring is done on your internal network, you don't need a fast Internet connection for that, just a fast wireless router.

4. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

I know there isn't a right or perfect answer, and I have no problem waiting a little bit longer for things to load up. But given my usage, I didn't know if there was a minimum that my usage requires.

----------

So I guess this might be pretty obvious, but would you say the higher speeds are mostly designed for online gamers/torrent users/ and network guys as opposed to the average internet user like me and my wife?

I also put Netflix in there because I do like to stream video from websites like ABC on my iPad and mirror to the AppleTV2. I also have the wireless extreme base station from 2009.