Minimum MBP requirements for Graphic Design?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by barigood, Jul 2, 2012.

1. barigood macrumors newbie

My son is starting a graphic designs program. I was looking at getting him a powerful ~$2000 MBP but am reconsidering since a few years from now technology will have advanced even further and he can get a top-of-the line one then, when he will presumably be beginning his career. Soooo... does anyone know what the minimum requirements would be? I assume a 15" screen is a necessity? Can he do fine without a hi-res display? Looks like something less than $1000 won't be possible. This is the least expensive 15" refurb: $1359 for

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel i7

Originally released October 2011
    15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Thanks much for the advice!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Check with the school's graphic design department.

3. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

That refurb mbp would be fine spec wise, if possible maybe look for one with a matte screen. Since your son is starting and learning, the slowest component will be sitting in front of the machine for quite some time - it was the same for me when I started my studies. ;)

Like you said, better spend more when it is really needed in a couple of years.

4. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

I think that machine would be fine, but I really wouldn't skimp on the screen. For graphics work and stuff, you really should be going with the highest res possible.

Or even the 17".

Also, put as much ram as you can afford into it.

And the faster HDD (7200rpm).

To be honest, I have a mid 2010 17". It is technically quite a lot worse then the system you are looking at, processor wise, but i have 8gb of ram, a better screen resolution, and a faster hard drive. Overall, probably a much better design system.

I am a photographer, and regularly use Aperture and CS6.

It's easy and a a lot cheaper to swap out the ram and HDD buying outside of apple.

Maybe you should post this on the design section of the forum?

5. barigood thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! Duh... I didn't realize there is a design forum. I'll certainly post there too. But if I understand you correctly, you're saying don't scrimp on the hi-res, but I can get a less powerful system and beef up the RAM and HDD outside of apple. Trouble is I know zero about such things and wouldn't know how to go about getting any after-market stuff added to the laptop. How is that done? Thanks again!

----------

Thanks... I've left a message with them. Unfortunately, it's tough to reach someone during the summer break. Hopefully I'll get a reply next week.