Minimum Power Requirements

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by martinocando, May 6, 2017.

1. martinocando, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017

martinocando macrumors regular

martinocando

I have three different places where I work with my 15 inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.

1. My desk at my office
    2. My desk at my room (Company hotel. I stay there 3 or 4 nights a week), is a fixed room, so I can leave stuff there
    3. At home, and whenever I'm on the road

I just purchased a CalDigit USB-C docking station http://amzn.to/2qNSoU0, which says it provides 60W of charging to USB-C, so it should be plenty to keep it charged. I don't need fast charging here, as long as it keeps the computer powered, without consuming battery, I'm game. The docking will remain in my desk, connected to a pair of external monitors, my external HDs, and apple keyboard, so I won't use the LCD. It should lower the power requirements a bit.

So, that covers my 1st location.

As for locations 2 and 3, I have my factory Apple adapter, and just ordered a Lumsing 48W adapter (http://amzn.to/2pTEPlX), although it says that it will provide only 29 Watts to the USB-C port, so it might not be enough for my computer. The questions and reviews in amazon provides conflicting information, since some say it will work, but slow, and others that simply doesn't work.

I would say that I spend half of my computer time at location 1, and the other half at the other two locations.

So, the question is: What are the minimum required power that I need to provide to my MBP? Again, I don't need fast charging. For that I use the factory power brick, I just need an adapter that will keep the computer working, with no battery consumption.

I do a lot of commuting using public transportation, so traveling without a charger helps to keep weight down.

Thanks

2. carestudio macrumors 6502

I think depends on the applications you use. The intensive graphic applications such as iMovie, photoshop and external bus-powered devices would consume a lot of watts. If you are not doing any of above, you will be fine with 29W.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well if you are maxing out a MacBook pro even the 85W power brick will not keep the battery charged while its running so I am imagining 65W will probably be the minimum for even basic use but hey you have ordered the 3 different power supplies let us know how it goes,
    I would say that the 65W will be fine but 29W will not keep the battery charged while you use it. Just a guess but when your GPU is 35W and your CPU 45W it seems unlikely it will be any good.

4. martinocando thread starter macrumors regular

martinocando

Well, that might be. If I want to keep working on 29W, I'll just have to keep my GPU off. Once I start either working with Photoshop, Lightroom, or any other GPU assisted apps, or gaming, I should hook her up with the 79W adapter.

Thanks to all. I'll be receiving the docking station today (hopefully), and the smaller charger on the weekend, so I'll report back how they behave.