Minimum specs for editing 1080p footage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gibbo132, Apr 1, 2010.

1. gibbo132 macrumors regular

Im about to get a Canon EOS 550d DSLR and just watched some 1080p footage from it on youtube. The playback was horrible it was stuttering and was almost unwatchable. Was this because of my stupidly slow broadband or my Macbook Pro?

I have a MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel C2D, 4GB Ram late 2009 model :) If my MacBook Pro can't play back the video I take it I won't be able to edit in FCP Express?

Thanks
    Chris

2. romeo26 macrumors member

it will work. i edit my 1080p footage from the 7d on my x200t, its only the 1.8 version with 4ghz of ram.

and windows. if my computer can do it iam sure osx with fcp can do it worlds faster and more efficiently!

3. gibbo132 thread starter macrumors regular

Goody! I just downloaded some 1080p footage and it looked beautiful! Thanks for the reply!

Chris

4. Coldmode macrumors regular

Your MBP just isn't interested in playing a Flash video at 1080p. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us.

I did a 20 minute feature in the Apple Pro Res 422 720p codec last semester in FCP on my MBP 2.8 and it went smoothly, so I'd expect you to be alright so long as you're not trying to render Avatar or something. I think what you already have will be just fine for a hobbyist.

5. gibbo132 thread starter macrumors regular

Great, No Avatar rendering for me! Its mainly going to be used for photos (the 550d) but seeing as my video camera just died its nice to have full hd video recording on it :)

Thanks Chris

6. Garrus macrumors member

huh, i cant edit my 7d 1080p footage even with a c2d 2.2 ... it cant even play without heavy lagging in adobe premiere...(the playback is just good in wmp,i sense their must be some frame skipping) how can it work on a 1.8? :confused: