Minimum specs to run FCP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brigini, Dec 6, 2008.

1. brigini macrumors newbie

My daughter is graduating from college soon and is asking for an Mac. She wants to use it to run Final Cut Pro. I was told by an Apple salesman that I would have to go with the MacBook Pro, 2.4 with 4 gb ram and high capacity high speed Hdd. With either student or govt discount, that still in the 2,100$ range. Can she get by with less?

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yes, but you'll have to get her a desktop iMac. You may have to be more specific with what she wants to run. If it's only FCP then anything will run it fine. If it's Motion 3 and Color then she'll have to drop $2000 for the MBP, or a 24" iMac, but it gets tricky with certain GFX cards and certain apps.

You don't need the fastest HDD to cut even HD on the machines, it will just allow you to cut smoother. I am doing a project with three layers of full DVCPRO HD on two 5400 rpm drives and its working just fine.

Not that the sales person wanted to up sell you, just that they aren't trained in a lot of consultation for the Pro apps, and they'd rather you get what will work perfectly, then one that will just be fine.

Short, sweet, to the point. This is why I f**ks with you Skil.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Forgive my naïvety, but is that a good thing or a bad thing? :eek::p

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Don't worry, this is a good thing.