Miniot MK2 for new iPad first impressions (pics + Video *Dutch)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by SamR123, Jun 27, 2012.

1. SamR123, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

SamR123 macrumors member

SamR123

Hi,

I've just got back from visiting the great people at Miniot for a small tour and got a change to see a lot of cool stuff. I've also taken home a new iPhone 4 pouch and of course a MK2 cover for the new iPad.

Haven't had the time to properly test it but my first impressions are very positive, it just looks very nice (this is a mahogany one but those padouk ones are very cool too!) and it feels very well built (by hand!). It also seems to be a great match for using it combined with a Belkin Snap Shield Secure (or Devicewear thingy).

For now I'll just post some picture and will be working on a small video review (Dutch, except if there's enough people waiting for something in English) with more pictures, video and some of the stuff I was able to shoot when visiting them today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ZipZap macrumors 603

Would love one but the US shipping is too high. When a US retailer stocks them I will revisit.

3. SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

Standaard shipping to US now seems to be 11 dollar, making it a total of 99 dollar for this cover (basic one, not the one where you choose every individual rib of wood).

4. SamR123, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

I've yet to write both the Dutch and English review but here is the Dutch youtube review, for those of you wanting to see a bit more and even a few small shots from my visit of Miniot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRffPf7wHwo

5. ZipZap macrumors 603

Any close up shots of walnut. In your video it looks very light...on their site darker.

Assume its not black walnut....

6. JeffMorse macrumors regular

That's mahogany, not walnut.

I've got one in cherry I like a lot, but love that mahogany too.

7. SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

Between 2:30 and 2:55 I've some shots of the available wood types. No real close-ups tho. Sorry.

8. ZipZap macrumors 603

Yeah I had seen those...looks like the walnut is light. Not what I want. I sent an email to the company....who knows if they will respond.

9. ZipZap macrumors 603

I was ready to buy....there is no $11 shipping to the US.
    At $30 its too expensive.

I might, order 2 or 3 and sell the others in US...this could defray shipping.

10. SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

I'm very sorry, I've checked and filled in US for shipping and I'm pretty sure it said 11 bucks. Again, I apologize.

11. ZipZap macrumors 603

Thinking of ordering 3:

Walnut, Cherry, Mahogany

Picking the one I like and selling the others.

Anyone interested in one of the others (gauging interest).
    $100 for each ...but the other will have to pay for ship from me to them.

12. gugy macrumors 68030

This cover looks beautiful. I am torn between the mahogany or Padouk.
    The shipping to US is too much at $30. Ideally the final cost for this should be US$100. I'll wait for some sort of coupon or discount down the road.

If anybody have pics of the Padouk, I would appreciate if you could post here.

13. Knitmom macrumors newbie

Weight?

How much does it weigh? This is a possible deal-breaker (or maker?) for me. I would be very grateful for the info. If you own one, a kitchen scale would do the trick. Or if anyone can link to the info online, that would be great too. I can't find it anywhere. I'm trying to find something around 7 or 8 ounces or less for the front since there are so many great, lightweight options for the back.

14. SamR123 thread starter macrumors member

SamR123

Its somewhere in the video. I used a kitchen scale. I'm on mobile now so can't check for you but it's lighter then the apple smart cover if I remember correctly

15. Knitmom macrumors newbie

3.5 Ozs!

I checked with the manufacturer, and they got back to me in less than 24 hours. 100 grammes, which is close to 3.5 ounces. Now all I have to do is choose Padouk, mahogany, or maple. I have a white ipad3. Any suggestions?