Miniot wooden cases...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by leechers, Oct 20, 2012.

1. leechers macrumors member

Has anyone had any experience with them? They're extremely thin wooden cases - much more appealing than twig and others.

Check them out:

https://www.miniot.com/webshop/

2. DanUC6 macrumors 6502a

Those look sweet..but over 100 dollars...ouch!

3. leechers thread starter macrumors member

They're actually decent priced compared to groove cases.

4. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

We got a couple before Twig, and they are beautiful, no question. I was impressed with the machining involved, same with my guitar-makin' partner. Lovely woods. Seriously, Miniot is the nicest wood case out there.

No bezel though, so screenies are required (if you care). They were tight! Not something you'd put on and take off a lot, at all. Put it on, and leave it on. Shipping to the US is spendy, and a wait. I watched one explode in a minor drop, and the other while a pal was putting it on (he felt bad :)

Twig Case Co. rose from the ashes of others' busted cases :)

I'd not hesitate to recommend one if you're wealthy, don't mind waiting for creation & delivery, you put a case on permanently and don't need to remove for docks, etc, stay in climate controlled areas and you never, ever, ever drop your phone. Ever.

Hope that is unbiased enough for you :)

5. Bakakage macrumors 6502

What's the shipping cost to the U.S? I'm thinking of ordering one next month.

6. DanUC6 macrumors 6502a

My order for Twig case is in! Can't wait.

7. leechers thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the review I never drop my phone though so I think I may order one!

8. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

For Fed Ex Priority it was 56 bucks.

3 week lead before shipping.

9. Swayzee macrumors member

wow. first wood case that i actually like. if i didnt have a sector 5 on order i may have picked this one up.

10. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

I am promoting my own case company terribly. lol

11. MarcRRT macrumors member

No. Your case is more durable, cheaper, and hopefully has a faster turn around time.

12. Popsie macrumors member

I ordered the iWood 5 today. Walnut - naked, no engraving.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Not sure if you were joking, but I think you promote your company very well. you provide lots of insight and answer questions quickly withou being in our faces about it. I'm going to order one, do you hve any promo codes at the moment?

14. Bakakage macrumors 6502

How much was shipping? And to where?

15. Popsie macrumors member

Shipping was 12 €.
    From Holland to Belgium (About 200 Miles :rolleyes: )

16. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

No, for Fed Ex Priority it's $41 actually. And regular shipping to the US is $30. But to ship a padded envelope to the US costs actually $29 with insurance from the Netherlands, that's not so much their fault.
    I agree that shipping is expensive, even to their native Netherlands it's $11, which is BS because you can ship packages up to 20 lbs in the Netherlands for 6.25€. (Insured envelope: 11.60€ again)

But hands down, this is one of the nicest cases around and worth it.

17. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

Well, we did get two.

And yes, I'd say it's the nicest wood case out there.

18. MertonKidd macrumors newbie

The Miniot case look really nice but they're pretty expensive.....I'm still going with a Twig case I think as the Richlite material might be tougher.

19. the_insider macrumors regular

the_insider

I received my iWood 5 from miniot yesterday. After much internal debate, I went with the natural walnut case, no engravings. I'm a bit of a purist and I think the walnut complements the black iP5 colorway.

Anyways, the case is absolutely stunning. It really is a work of art.

I do agree that it is a very expensive case, but in my opinion, it is the only case that can come close to replicating the minimalistic and beatiful design of the iP5 itself. For me, it was either going naked, or getting a great case.

The iWood5 provides an extremely tight fit around the phone. The case is very thin and does not add bulk or weight to the phone, compared to what I saw from other wooden iPhone cases.

The case itself slides onto the side rails of the phone with the front edge of the case sitting just about flush with the screen of the iP5. I would say it rises maybe just 1 or 2mm above the screen, not providing much front protection. As the case sits on the rails of the phone, I am thinking I might be able to fit a screen protector on as long as the screen protector stays perfectly inline with the glass and does not overlap.

All the button functions work flawlessly and effortlessly, there is absolutely no additional stiffness to the functionality of the buttons.

It isn't much of a problem getting the case on the phone, more a problem of getting the case off the phone. It definitely comes off, but it takes a bit of strength and patience to not bend/crack the wood or damage the iP5 when removing the case.

My only complaint with the miniot iWood 5 case is the size of the headphone port hole. Unfortunately, with the headphones I use, the rubber jack is too thick to fit in the constricted headphone port. The only headphones that I have around the house that fit in the port with the case are the apple ear pods as the plastic port is very thin and fit in the port perfectly. I absolutely DISPISE the apple headphones as they never fit in my ear and are constantly falling out, but I digress.

I had to order a small adaptor on ebay hoping that the adaptor port will be thin enough to fit the miniot case. I stopped by a few headphone retail branches here in London and I wasnt able to find a single pair of headphones that fit in through the case. Unless you use the apple headphones or your headphone jack is the same size as the ear pods, you're going to need an adaptor.

Here are some pics of the case taken from my instagram. (@itsmefrancois) Sorry I cant provide any pictures with the case on, my only functioning camera is currently wrapped with beautiful Walnut. ;)

Hope this helps, shout if you have any questions. Also, if anyone has any adaptor suggestions please share.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Popsie macrumors member

Congratulations.
    I ordered just the same as yours. Walnut, no engraving.
    How long did you had to wait untill delivery ?
    I ordered mine oct 22th.

21. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Looks like the 30 pin to lightning adapter won't work with this case.

FAIL!

Kind of sad, too, because otherwise I'd like it quite a bit.

22. cdhoward macrumors member

You could use the corded adapter.

23. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Can you post pictures of the phone inside the case please

Edit: Just realized what you said in your post, sorry.

24. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

Those really are beautiful but I prefer Twig's design more. plus so expensive...

25. maniacphoner macrumors regular

If people are interested in the wood type of cases for their phones, they should check out this one other brand: http://www.grovemade.com/
    Their cases are made by bamboos. Quite pricey too and if the case breaks, it's your loss.