Ministack External Drive won't mount

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by FatSweatyBlldog, Oct 12, 2008.

1. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

Here is my problem:

I have a newertech ministack v3 with an apple 750GB HD. Information was being d/l'ed to the external, and while I was gone the mini shutdown. I fear this mid-discwriting-shutdown has caused some malfunction to the drive, because it won't mount, anymore. Have tried both the firewire and USB connections.

When I go to system profiler, the drive is recognized within the firewire or usb profile, but the drive refuses to mount. I've gone to disc utility to verify and repair permissions, and that starts but fails to verify and/or repair. It recognizes the drive has an error (write overflow?), but can't fix it.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is my drive FUBAR?

Thanks for any an all help :confused:

2. FatSweatyBlldog thread starter macrumors regular

exact disk utility error message

The exact error:

invalid node structure
    The volume 750GB needs to be repaired.

Then:
    Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit.

Volume needs repair.

Ugh...

3. ADent macrumors 6502a

You don't want repair permissions, you want repair disk (I forget the exact menu name).

4. FatSweatyBlldog thread starter macrumors regular

Man alive this has killed my productivity for the evening.

But, with the help of Disk Warrior I was able to rebuild the drive to the point where I can at least preview the drive (though disk warrior said the disk was too damaged to rebuild completely). I really can't believe the drive could be this damaged based on the computer shutting down in the middle of data being written to the external. Really?

In any case, since I only have preview mode in DW, can't even "replace" the drive, so I'm using CarbonCloner to clone the DW-preview to an external I had around that can accomodate the data.

Afterwards, I'll poke and prod the drive in the external case and see what's if there's anything more to be done. Is the drive in the external completely FUBAR for future use? Can I reformat and except normal performance, or does the drive belong in Ewaste, now?