Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
CA
I just received my new ministack and can't figure out a few things. They should really have a more detailed manual than a folded piece of paper.

According to the manual, the ministack is supposed to boot up with my mini but it seems to stay on. The light is on and the fan keeps going. I tried it with only the Firewire connect and both the Firewire and USB2 connected. And both times set to 1394, not Auto. I tried to shut down and reboot 3 times, leaving the ministack on the whole time, and it never shut down with the mini. Am I missing something?

I also used their software, Quickback, to make a back up of my whole internal drive. And then I tried to click it again to see if it would immediately tell me it's already updated. Instead, I got a message saying

"Your copy cannot continue because your source and destination both contain the following files:"

And then it lists a bunch of folders on the ministack. Can someone explain this to me? I don't want to have to drag and drop every time and wonder whether I forgot something.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Try ejecting the ministack hard drive from the desktop before you shut down. Does the fan go off then?

Lee Tom

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I have the 250GB ministack hoked up with my mini. I have not noticed it being on or off to be honest. Try to switch you mini off for 5-10 mins maybe then it will shutoff byitself.

About backing your info, its best to use a software like SuperDuper or just do it yurself.

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
CA
Thanks for the suggestions. I have the 250gb ministack v2 too. I can't seem to get it to work the way I want but it's at least working so I'm not going to waste any more time trying. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.