MiniStack replacement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by steve2112, Mar 15, 2010.

1. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

My old MiniStack enclosure died on me. It won't even power up. The good news is that the 500GB drive inside is still good. The bad news is that it is a 500GB IDE drive. I don't want to see this go to waste, but I also don't want to spend a lot of money on an IDE external enclosure, since all my future drives will be SATA.

I found one on geeks.com called the AirLink 101 ANAS350. I searched MRoogle, but couldn't anything on it. Does anyone have any experience with it? I like it because it does both IDE and SATA, and it is networkable. I can't find much info on it, though, here or elsewhere.

I also found this one on Newegg. It looks good and has Firewire, but I just don't know if I want to spend $40 on an IDE only enclosure. Basically, I don't want to spend a lot of money, since they drive is closing on 5 years old. (Made in Jul 2005 according to the label)

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If you just want to pull data off, why not something like this adapter. You can connect it to run any bare drive, which also makes it economical for occasional image backups to bare drives.

3. steve2112 thread starter macrumors 68040

steve2112

I did use an adapter to check/copy the drive. That's how I knew the drive was good. I want to put it back into use as a back/storage drive, but I don't want to drop a lot of money on an IDE enclosure. I also don't want to leave it lying around bare hooked up to my adapter.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The drive certainly isn't worth buying a $40 case! I'd just run it in that adapter, or toss it.