MiniStack v2.5 question...

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by CtotheP, Mar 11, 2012.

1. CtotheP macrumors regular

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but it seems like the majority of the MiniStack threads are in the Mini Forum.

This may be a REALLY dumb question, but here it goes.

In order to use the USB ports on the MiniStack, does the USB Uplink cable have to be connected? I was wondering if you could use the USB ports with only having the Firewire cable connected?

I want to free up more USB ports, and have tried just connecting the Firewire cable, and while the USB ports are powered, the machine doesn't recognize/mount USB peripherals.

Thanks in advance

2. JAT macrumors 603

Well, I have an earlier version. But I think it's safe to say this hasn't changed.

Yes, you need the USB connected between Mini and MiniStack.

Mine came with a short USB A-B cable for the purpose. Isn't there a special B input port on the Stack? So it doesn't actually take away from your possible output ports. I may be misremembering, and it isn't near me to go look right now.

3. CtotheP thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it came with the USB A/B cable and the Firewire cable. I was just trying to free up additional USB ports by forcing everything to go through the Firewire 400 port since I wasn't using that on my older Mac. I guess I'll just have to use the B-Port.