miniStack v3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dalton63841, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Okay I have searched the forums about a million times, and the best I can find is mixed reviews on the newerTech miniStack. I am about to set up an HTPC, and I have a very simple question. Does the miniStack v3 work well, at least on Snow Leopard?

I just need it to store my movies/tv shows/music/pictures so that I can access them over LAN. I have read that they sometimes just don't mount or whatever else. It will be connected to my Mac Mini.

2. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

I use a ReadyNAS Duo for feeding my Mac Mini (HTPC) with ripped movies (via RipIt).

As I will soon be upgrading the hard drives in my ReadyNAS, I shall use one of the old ones in a miniStackv3 as a backup drive for my other Mac Mini.

3. Dalton63841 thread starter macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Currently I have a nettop with Freenas & 2 1TB drives serving my movies. It works great, but I really want to make the mac mini my home server. I can use screen sharing to control it, and the Mac mini can also serve full fledged websites, while Freenas can only do static sites, at least without a TON of work.

I was thinking I can use the miniStack hooked up to the Mac Mini via FW800, to serve my media, and then the Mac Mini would also be a webserver, torrent box, along with having my magicJack hooked to it.