Minneapolis Said to Have Fastest Average LTE Speeds in United States

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Minneapolis has the fastest average LTE speeds of all major cities in the United States, according to a recent study conducted by OpenSignal.

[​IMG]

OpenSignal found that the average LTE download connection in Minneapolis was 21.5 Mbps, almost twice as fast as the 11.65 Mbps average it measured in Las Vegas, which was the slowest among the 35 cities it tracked.

Four out of the five fastest cities were in the Midwest region, with Minneapolis joined by Detroit, Chicago, and St. Louis in the rankings.

[​IMG]

OpenSignal said 29 of the 35 cities exceeded the national LTE download average of 13.98 Mbps. When compared to global speeds, though, only 14 cities had 4G speeds higher than the worldwide LTE download average of 16.6 Mbps.

OpenSignal collected its data from millions of smartphones with its app installed under conditions of normal usage.

Article Link: Minneapolis Said to Have Fastest Average LTE Speeds in United States

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Still such a low average compared to other countries.

3. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Verizon has taken a nose dive in Houston. Sad!

4. b11051973 macrumors 6502

The map of the US used in the story is T-Mobile's color. Let me say that TM sucks in Minneapolis, and MN in general, in my opinion. I tried them late 2016 for like 2-3 months and it was pathetically slow. I'd try to download a podcast at work and it would take 20 minutes, and I'm not exaggerating.

I'm on AT&T again now, and was on Verizon before my T-Mobile experiment. AT&T and Verizon are both pretty great.

5. Mattsasa macrumors 68020

Mattsasa

Hell yea!! Minneapolis represent!!

I had no idea I was this spoiled!

6. dragoon2745 macrumors newbie

dragoon2745

I live in Minneapolis and have experienced a very wide range of LTE speeds on Sprint. Generally speaking I feel like I get like 12 Mbps.

7. coumerelli macrumors 6502

Glad to see St. Louis near the top of a good list for once.

8. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

Wonder what happened in your case, as T-Mo has been rock solid all over the metro and the greater Twin Cities area for me. Good coverage, and ridiculously fast. Looked in my Ookla app history and I’ve run around 20 speed tests over the past few years around the metro, and most have download speeds in the 40-70 Mbps range, with a few 10-20’s and a few 80+. Great downtown coverage in Mpls as well. Very happy with them here.

9. ehrens macrumors member

ehrens

But what about St. Paul?

My VZW LTE usually tracks at about 40-50 Mbps.

10. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Minneapolis is awesome.

We also have the fastest home internet on the planet. 10Gbps to the home fiber with USI.

11. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

I used to work in St. Paul — don’t have any numbers, but I never felt a slowdown on T-Mo, at least in my experience. A coworker on Sprint had issues in St. Paul all the time though...

12. Craiguyver macrumors member

Craiguyver

Cincinatti...
    Colombus...

What, were fifth graders in charge of spelling on this one??!!

13. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Last year, T-Mobile ran ads all around the Twin Cities claiming "Now with 4x the coverage in the Twin Cities area!!!" That's not great. AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon would never even 2x their coverage in the area because you can't have more than 100% coverage.

Only T-Mobile had room to increase coverage as their competitors are miles ahead of them with nearly 100% coverage in the area.

14. Xavier macrumors 68030

I was about to say the same thing. Colombus ? Really?

15. joueboy macrumors 68000

Really!? When I was in Toronto with my T-Mobile roaming I was getting 70 mbps.

16. joey66215 macrumors newbie

It's Sprint what do you expect...lol.

17. paulyras macrumors 6502

Used to live in MSP, and it never felt that fast back then, but Glad to hear it.

Where does my current home fit though, you ask? Singapore came in at #1 in the world at 46.6 according to their reports (and it feels every bit as fast!). :D:p:D:p:D

18. tmiw macrumors 68020

That's generally what happens when there's not all that much spectrum to go around. However, 600MHz should help with that in a few years.