MINOR coffee spill

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aawaiaa, Feb 27, 2011.

1. aawaiaa macrumors newbie

so just yesterday, I went to my friend's birthday and out of no where the birthday girl accidentally spills a starbuck's coffee on me and i just had to be using the iPhone at that time. Thankfully, it was only a minor spill since i was able to move the iphone out of the way quickly(i wished it spilled more on my balls then on my phone).I quickly got it out of my incase case, turned it off, and dried it, I did notice that some of the liquid were sinking into the top earphone speaker and the bottom mic and speaker, so i went to her bathroom to hair dry it for 3 minutes and then put it in a bowl of dried rice to absorb the moisture, just in case. The phone works and nothing's hurt EXCEPT for the bottom right speaker and probably the mic ...
    The sound is all muffled and I suppose it's mainly because the coffee is interfering with the sound wave(i hope this is it).
    Are there any suggestions to how to fix this EASILY without having to screw open the phone? Also, the water sensors did not go off so I can try to go to At&t and somehow blame apple for it for a replacement..?(the nearest Apple store is 2 cities away lol)but before i do that, i want to try to fix it on my own.

Are there any suggestions? thanks for reading.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The blow drier is just about the worst thing that you could have done, as it will force moisture into places that weren't already wet. Corrosion, would be more of a concern to me than the transmitter, speaker. I would have already disassembled phone, if it was mine.

3. aawaiaa thread starter macrumors newbie

now that i think about it, it is a bad idea, but the thing is I didn't do it for so long and i did stick the iphone ina bag for rice for a couple of hours. Also, it was a really minor spill, would disassembly still be necessary?

4. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

It takes more then a couple of hours for rice to absorb moisture, even a little bit, you should have left it for 24hrs, and in a bowl is no good either, it needs to be in a sealed container. What was in the coffee? Cream/milk/sugar?

5. aawaiaa thread starter macrumors newbie

yep... all those things. Cream, sugar and milk.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

A couple of hours did absolutely nothing. As ashman said it needed to be in a sealed container for at least 24, 48 would have been better. And to get the maximum benefit from the rice, it should have been opened up.

As for opening it up now, you have obviously still got some problems, so if you don't feel comfortable with disassembly, take or send it to someone that can. On the other hand, if you think that it is ok and are willing to take the chance that you wont have problems in the future, just use it. Since none of us know exactly what happened, only you can make the call.

7. aawaiaa thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Alright thanks for replying. I'll order the pentalobe screw driver and open it up and clean it, seems like the best thing to do.

Also what's the best solvent to clean with?