Minor electrical wiring help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by radiogoober, Aug 25, 2012.

1. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

My wife has an elipitcal machine and when moving it, we torqued the plug (on the machine) and it sporatically gets electricity now.

I'd like to by-pass the plug on the machine, by that I mean wire the wall plug directly into the machine's wiring. However, the wiring on the machine has 3 conductors (red, black, white), and the wall plug has two conductors (black, black/white.)

Does anyone know how I should connect these?

Thank you kindly

Attached Files:

2. radiogoober thread starter macrumors 6502a

From looking at the typical wire colors, I'm thinking

3 wire ------------------ 2 wire
    red ->>>>> white
    black ->>>> black
    white ->>>> ?? white?

Attached Files:

• yo.png
      yo.png
      File size:
      51.5 KB
      Views:
  3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

One of the three wires inside the machine is the ground. You can figure it out with a multimeter by putting one of the probes on the round prong on the (unplugged) 120v connector and the other on each of the wires, successively until you find the one which completes the circuit. You might have to strip some of the isulation to have access to the welds. I would bet it is the white one but I can't say for sure.

Then that leaves you with the other wires. The outer portion of the connector from the power pack is the minus and the inner portion is the plus (as shown on the sticker). With that you can find which wire is which by dissecting it. I would say black is minus and black/white is plus.

Then the wires inside the machine are most likely red for plus and black for minus, but again it is entirely speculative and based on the common approach to electronics. By dissecting the plug you can find out which is which.

When you have correctly identified the plugs, you must connect both plus wires together and both minus wires together.

Now I wouldn't really know what to do with the ground. If there is some metallic shielding around the wires of the transformer you can connect it to the machine's ground; otherwise just stick it to a metallic part of the chassis. (That is, provided you are entirely sure it is a ground wire.)

(I would like to add that I am no expert in electrical appliances, and I can not be held liable for any kind of damage :p)

4. radiogoober thread starter macrumors 6502a