Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
why isnt this on the front page? now we just need someone to "peer" inside and find hidden references to iphone! we know its in there somewhere...

That doesn't sound like something apple would do, but they did do something like that with iTunes code, didn't they?

Crafty! And spot on. But wait, doesn't a 4.5 MB "certificate" break security rules??!

The iChat mobile is definitely coming. And it will be my next phone, should Apple actually release the damn thing in the UK. My Sony Erricson K750i is starting to look a little dated.. ;)

I don't think even Apple could integrate the current version so well into an "iPhone" and require only a minor 4.5MB .Mac Certificate to integrate a mobile and standard version. Now IF they did, GREAT job apple!

-Brian

refulgentis

macrumors regular
May 14, 2006
Only thing I could find remotely referencing anything related to mobile phones in the package: G. AMR Notice. The Adaptive Multi-Rate ("AMR") encoding and decoding functionality in this product is not licensed to perform cellular voice calls, or for use in any telephony products built on the QuickTime architecture for the Windows platform. The AMR encoding and decoding functionality in this product is also not licensed for use in a cellular communications infrastructure including: base stations, base station controllers/radio network controllers, switching centers, and gateways to and from the public switched network.

nathanxu

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2007
Hobart
Photo booth isn't working after this update.

I have just installed the latest update from iChat, suddenly I released the photobooth is not working anymore. The only thing the iSight can pick up is a Green screen. There is no physical problem with iSight since it worked on other applications such as the little game came with Apple. It seems the iChat isn't working too well either. What seems to be the problem? I am using one of the latest 24 inch iMac.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
Yay, finally fixed the encryption timeouts.

No, this is not a harbinger or an iPhone, its a timely fix for encryption errors and nothing more. 4.5 MB would include the installer.

Thanks for ruining all the fun ;).
Oh well. We can still dream

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
I have just installed the latest update from iChat, suddenly I released the photobooth is not working anymore. The only thing the iSight can pick up is a Green screen. There is no physical problem with iSight since it worked on other applications such as the little game came with Apple. It seems the iChat isn't working too well either. What seems to be the problem? I am using one of the latest 24 inch iMac.

Probably all you need to do is reset the SMU of your iMac.

* Turn the machine off
* Unplug the power cord from the back of the mac (not the wall)
* Wait 15 seconds
* Plug power cable back in
* Press power button to boot normally

Georgie

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think even Apple could integrate the current version so well into an "iPhone" and require only a minor 4.5MB .Mac Certificate to integrate a mobile and standard version. Now IF they did, GREAT job apple!
-Brian

This doesn't have to be the mobile version of iChat, it only has to interface with the mobile version. That wouldn't necessarily require an update at all, I wouldn't think, but if they were to add some snazzy sync features or whatever, it might fit into 4.5 mb. It might even be a drop-in replacement. The iChat application itself is only 3.5 mb pre-update; it's 3.6 mb post-update. The Resources folder within the package contents grows from 20.1 to 20.2 contents. Those are small increases obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if they mask a greater change.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Ew a reboot for such a tiny update? Not expecting anything new...

It always seems odd to me that the kernel can dynamically load and unload extensions but a chat client or web browser update requires a re-boot.

Of course, we'll probably find that there is more to all this late next week when 10.4.9 arrives for compatibility's sake.

huy

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2005
Has anyone had problems after the update? After the iChat downloaded and asked for a reboot, my computer "blinks" after it boots up. The finder and menu are blinking in and out and I can't do anything. I tried various start up options and put in my Apple disk to repair permissions and still same problems. Anyone else have this problem and can anyone help or provide ideas on how to get it back working? Can you uninstall or "go back" prior to the update?

Thanks in advance.

-Kevin

Yes I have the same problem. Finder is restarting constantly with most operations (renaming files, folders, creating aliases). I have also repaired permissions, fsck, safe boot, etc.

rovo

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2007
Has To Be Iphone

No one else had posted about this but I typically send text messages from iChat. Now the phone numbers pop up in a new group titled "Recent Buddies". This didn't occuer before.

maflamm@flamm.c

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2007
problem after installing iChat update

Has anyone had problems after the update? After the iChat downloaded and asked for a reboot, my computer "blinks" after it boots up. The finder and menu are blinking in and out and I can't do anything. I tried various start up options and put in my Apple disk to repair permissions and still same problems. Anyone else have this problem and can anyone help or provide ideas on how to get it back working? Can you uninstall or "go back" prior to the update?

Thanks in advance.

-Kevin

Yes, I have a similar problem. I installed the update Friday, shut down and moved my computer about 6 feet. When I rebooted, my G5 iMac got to the point when the background picture appeared, then stopped booting. The Spotlight icon appeared in the upper right corner; if I move the mouse to it, the cursor spins. Anywhere else, the cursor moves but doesn't spin. I've tried several utilities without success. I may have to bring it to the Apple Store Monday. Any ideas?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
No one else had posted about this but I typically send text messages from iChat. Now the phone numbers pop up in a new group titled "Recent Buddies". This didn't occuer before.

This is certainly relevant. Very interesting... I'm pretty sure the update was an undercover phone frameworks package.

Georgie

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Are you sure?

Are you sure? I just sent a few text messages to various cell phones, but I don't see a new group called "Recent Buddies" anywhere. Where do you see this new group, any special settings? I have upgraded iChat.

awatiker

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2006
I am a little confused about this updates purported purpose. If I go to the account tab in preferences, click on Security and then click on Encrypt I am told I am unable to do this. It's weird that Apple would release this update prior to MacWorld if it is cell phone related, why not just wait a few days? The need to reboot is weird too though, this certificate thing does not seem like it would require a reboot but I don't know. This could be more evidence that the update does more than it says. I don't see the thing about "more information" on Apple's website.

I looked through the iChat package and found nothing interesting. The only recently updated files are the EncryptionUpdater.nib folders located under iChat -> Contents -> Resources -> "Languageofchoice".lpoj and the localizable.strings files which appear to just be making corresponding changes for the encryption things.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I am a little confused about this updates purported purpose. If I go to the account tab in preferences, click on Security and then click on Encrypt I am told I am unable to do this. It's weird that Apple would release this update prior to MacWorld if it is cell phone related, why not just wait a few days? The need to reboot is weird too though, this certificate thing does not seem like it would require a reboot but I don't know. This could be more evidence that the update does more than it says. I don't see the thing about "more information" on Apple's website.

I looked through the iChat package and found nothing interesting. The only recently updated files are the EncryptionUpdater.nib folders located under iChat -> Contents -> Resources -> "Languageofchoice".lpoj and the localizable.strings files which appear to just be making corresponding changes for the encryption things.

You don't have a .Mac account, do you? That would account for the Encrypt... button not being able to do anything for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.