Minor problem with my macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ladybutterfly00, Oct 17, 2008.

1. ladybutterfly00 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have a 2.4 macbook pro, and i attached an external Toshiba USB 2.0 hard drive to it, now i can read it, and i can copy things from my external hard drive to my computer with no problem. The problem is when I try to copy things FROM my MacBook Pro TO the external drive. It say that the device is a read only device. I try deleting stuff off my external hard drive but it doesnt allow me too, it says (Sorry the operation can not be completed because of an unexpected error, error code-61).

In this case what can I do to be able to write on the external hard drive through my macbook pro? Do I have to format the external drive? if so, how do I do that?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Ruby

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

right click on the drive
    get info
    and under sharing and permissions make sure that you have read & write access, if you don't try to change that option

3. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

OS X can only read from NTFS file systems, it cannot write to it. If your external HDD is under NTFS file system, that's probably why. FAT32 system on the other hand, can both be read and write by OS X.

Read this link here for more information (scroll down to "Understanding Hard Drive Partitions and File Recognition" section).

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9