Minor Safari Annoyance

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by paulsalter, Jul 21, 2011.

1. paulsalter, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

When going back in a page in Safari (2 finger swipe) how to you get it to revert to the way it worked in SL

The animation doesn't both me too much, but

when I read a thread on here, then swipe back to go to the list of topics, it doesn't mark the topic as read, so the whole page looks like its full of unread posts

EDIT: doesn't even work properly if i change to 3 finger swipe

might have to look at Chrome/Firefox, not impressed by the updated Safari

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well the updating of the thread as being read after swiping back in Safari doesn't have anything to do with Safari or any web browser. It's dependent upon the PHP code of the site whereas you need to click on another link and move forward through the site. Only then will the site mark it as read.

3. paulsalter thread starter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Thanks, but I am still a bit confused

This features has worked for me in Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard and has also worked with all versions of Windows I have used

I dont understand why it suddenly dosnt if it down to the PHP code

either all sites have changed there code since Lion came out, or something changed in Lion

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

OK, well then I am confused on your issue.

If I am not mistaken, there was no swipe feature in Tiger or Leopard and certainly not Windows. This feature or using the Back button pulls the page from the locally stored cache (history) on your computer. That's why the site doesn't get updated with you having read a thread. The site depends on a click of a hyper link to take you forward away from a page and then mark it as read. If you click Back or swipe back, you could probably press Refresh and it may then show you the thread you were in as read, so long as the site recognizes that you had initially clicked on it once before.

Does that make sense?

5. paulsalter thread starter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

refresh does do it, but it just seems annoying to now have to do that

ignore the gestures, just using point/click (just really using swipe as back, sorry for conufusion)

in SL and earlier

Go to Macrumors forum
    click into a forum
    thread I have been following (or any i want to read), click the little mark to go to first unread post
    click the back button
    it goes back to the list of topics and the thread I just read is marked as read

Do the exact same thing in Lion but when i go back to the list of topics, it doesnt mark the thread I read as read, so as you mentioned above i need to hit refresh

if you try this out

If you turn on the preference in Lion to do a 3 finger swipe back

read a thread then use 3 fingers to swipe back

you will see the page reloading, in previous version this re loaded back from the web so you had an upto date list of topics, in Lion it seems to reload from a cache (last time you refreshed the page)

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

OK, I understand what you're saying now and we'll have to hope Apple updates that in a future release.

You could also make a suggestion to Apple on their Lion Feedback form too.

7. paulsalter thread starter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Do you agree this looks like a bug ?

If so I will report to Apple, just wanted to make sure it wasnt my machine playing up

8. waynep macrumors 6502

I bet they are caching the old page better now. When you browsed back, old safari probably had to reload, refresh the page. Links don't get updated until the page is refreshed. That's just the way web browsers work.

9. paulsalter thread starter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

If this is the new way then its starting to get very annoying, same issue in Firefox and Chrome

This isnt how web browsers worked in early version of the OS

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's either a bug or a design feature. I'm leaning toward design feature. They probably didn't think of this when they wrote the code for the new features. I would still report it to make them aware of your concern. It cannot hurt to do so.

11. paulsalter thread starter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Thanks, will do

I can understand it as a feature to speed up browsing, but it breaks other things (for my use anyway)

12. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

In the standard config use three fingers instead of two. Two gives you the animation, three is SL behaviour.

edit: actually this is not true. you do need to tweak your settings. I believe you have to switch to swipe with 2 or 3 fingers.

13. paulsalter thread starter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

tried that but unfortunately it dosnt work, it refreshes the page how it did in SL, but it seems to refresh from cache instead of getting the upto date version of the page from the web

14. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

In SL the "swipe back" gesture was hooked into the backspace key in Safari. In Lion it merely treats the new page as a window. I'm guessing they did that to make it swipe faster and the animation looks cool. Safari can only do this without reloading the previous page like SL did.

Nothing more than that.