Minor spill on macbook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ayoOllie, Aug 15, 2013.

1. ayoOllie, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

ayoOllie macrumors newbie

I spilled a bit of milk on my macbook air's keyboard a few nights ago. As soon as I spilled the milk on the keyboard I immediately dried it with a napkin. Everything on my mac is working just fine, and after the spill no major problems have occurred. The only issue now is that the LED lights that light up the "0, -, and Mute (f10)" keys are a bit faded and not as bright as before or the other ones. Is there any suggestions on what I could try to fix that?
    I attached a photo showing the faded keys (0, -, and f10), You can barely noticed in the picture.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Yes, I have some advice. Thank God (or Zeus or whoever) that this is the ONLY issues you are having. Don't worry about fixing anything - just use it.

3. yliu macrumors regular

I also spilled drink (~1/4 cup) onto my MBP keyboard. Dried it up and kept using like normal for a year or so until I sold it.

You could try to get the faded keys off and clean it. However, you might risk breaking the mechanism.

4. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Spill some more milk on the rest of the keys so they have the same tone

5. Appledreamer macrumors member

your just lucky that is the only damage that was caused. enjoy your mac and just use it and be happy.

i dropped my brand new 2013 mac from my waist height onto the floor and there is a dent on the lcd back right conner on the lid. There is nothing i can do about it :( but i am just happy its working 100% and the screen is fine.

6. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

a quarter cup is 60mL. that is a LOT of liquid! You are very lucky. You too OP...especially since milk is a better conductor than water, not to mention "grosser"

i say all this because once i was doing the dishes and the amount of water that sometimes stays on the BOTTOM little ring on a coffee mug splashed and a tiny amount of water hit my MB keyboard. Honestly - MAYBE 1 mL of water...and guess what? several of my keys stopped working permanently.

this requires an upper assembly replacement. the part alone is 2-$300.

So yeah, like someone else said - fall to your knees and give thanks that this is the only problem.

Or take it to a genius bar and see if they can do anything for you.
    Alternatively you could pry of the keys and do some manually cleaning.

----------

i feel your pain... but you know what? the first scratch will set you free. this is true for new computers just like it's true for anything... your car, your house, your newborn.

:p (kidding about the newborn...kinda, there's probably some degree of truth to that in terms of not coddling your kids too much:D)