Minor water spill on Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SelrahcRenyar, Jun 6, 2012.

1. SelrahcRenyar macrumors newbie

Last night, I was drinking a glass of water while on my computer (I know, I know, bad idea) when I suddenly laughed, and did an involuntary spit take. Water sprayed all over the computer, but most of it got on the screen, which I'm not worried about. What worries me is the water that was dispersed across the surface of my keyboard. I quickly took off my shirt and pressed it against the keyboard, which (I think) soaked up all of the water. I then, after 5 minutes or so, turned it off and flipped it upside down to let any water drain out. Nothing drained out, so I thought I was in good shape. I turned it back on, and everything worked perfectly. After a bit more research, I decided that it was best to turn it off again, and let it spend the night upside-down. This morning, I turned it on again, and there was absolutely zero visable damage. I tested every key and everything works fine, but I'm still pretty paranoid so I turned it off and upside down again, which is its current state. I'm going to leave it like that for at least 6 more hours before I check it again. Should I anticipate any more problems in the future? Or am I probably fine? Thanks everyone, I'm so worried.

2. DrKockter macrumors member

should have left it off for a few days, not turnit on and "ohi think i should have left it off" a billion times

if everything is working then u should be fine as long as "you think" everything dried up

invest in a keyboard cover

3. emacna1 macrumors regular

Pretty much all you can do is wait. If no problems arise, you're in the clear. If problems arise, go from there.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If it was just a few drops of water, it probably won't do too much harm - compared to spilling a lot of water on the keyboard directly.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You should be fine. The keyboard itself sits on its own casing which is pretty much connected to the motherboard by one tiny wire that goes through it. Like this:

[​IMG]

But yeah, my advice? Never drink in front of your MacBook Pro. Water can try up, but when it comes to stuff like soda, it's just going to get stuck in that excess tape they stick in the machine. I had to replace the keyboard in one of my older models before. It's a nightmare.

6. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

the bottom of the keyboard contains a cover which prevents dust and dirt from falling onto the motherboard, so my guess is that there's nothing to worry about since you soaked up most of the water as soon as the incident happened.