Mint on my air

yuedatte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
Mexico
I just bought a 13 " i5/8gb/256 macbook air. Loving it!!! but feeling a little into linux mint. I have reasons to believe a lot of the hardware won't work. Does anyone have an idea of what to do?

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
I would definitely expect issues with everything from the bootloader, wifi/bluetooth drivers, power saving, displayport to hdmi, etc. I'm a Linux user since 1995 and use it professionaly every day, but I can never understand why anyone would want to buy a Mac to use Linux on. I agree with those saying run it in a VM if you must.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I just bought a 13 " i5/8gb/256 macbook air. Loving it!!! but feeling a little into linux mint. I have reasons to believe a lot of the hardware won't work. Does anyone have an idea of what to do?
Mint + VirtualBox = Refreshing Linux Fix :D

I've done this myself, easy to set up and FREE!

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
The virtual machine options have been covered in other posts, but if you want to dual boot OS X and Linux there is some info here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=apple_mba2013_ubuntu

Right now, the built in WiFi won't work with the standard kernel drivers, you shouldn't expect the same battery life as OS X and stability might not be so good at this stage, but most likely nothing that won't get fixed in time.