Mircon's 32GB SSD for $99 - good deal & its SLC not MLC

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NYU02, Dec 17, 2008.

1. NYU02 macrumors regular

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Arent compact flash cards up to 32gb for $50?

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

No.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

If a company released a modern notebook with a 32gb HDD today, they'd be the laughing stock. Just because it's SSD doesn't make 32gb any more useful in a modern computer, unless of course you're still running Windows 95. Don't waste your money.

5. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

have you seen a netbook before? Something like this is perfect. Heck that drive would be awesome for encoding stuff.

6. J4M4L macrumors newbie

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

People have used high-speed CF cards with an adapter for a hard drive in their computers. They are actually perfect for older laptops like iBooks. 16gb CF card in an older iBook is great as it speeds everything up and is completely silent and runs cooler.

8. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I think compact flash 'dies' faster than these new SSD drives. They have fewer write cycles. I'm pretty sure SSD drives use special algorithms to make sure it writes to different cells all the time so it last longer. Compact flash doesn't need or use this.

I think a 32GB drive would be great to boot your OS from if you have a tower. Really really fast boot up and switch between apps. Keep all your big files on a bigger standard disk.

Might get one myself :D

EDIT: That drive got some bad reviews. Fast read but slow writes. I think they are getting rid of old stock to prepare for the new model. It's still interesting though... I think i'd need at least 64GB to make a decent install drive.

9. J4M4L macrumors newbie

Ah, fair enough :)

10. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

until the prices on the larger drives comes down and they offer some more modern sizing's, I'm personally sticking to standard drives... you can pick up large and fast notebook drives for relatively cheap these days.