Mirror Displays not working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ptrael, Dec 7, 2007.

1. ptrael macrumors newbie

Hi I am experiencing an issue with mirroring displays, which I posted on Apple's Discussions without a response.

After recently purchasing a new LCD television, I noticed the composite video out from my MacBook was not ideal - there were two sets of wavy horizontal lines.

I then bought a mini DVI to VGA adapter to use with the television's VGA input, which produced a much higher quality output, free of the horizontal lines.

The problem I have encountered is that I can only mirror the displays, not use different resolutions as I could with video out. I noticed some strange irregularities when changing resolutions. When attempting to uncheck "Mirror Displays" and perform some other tasks in the "LCDTV" window, there is a beep and then nothing happens. The "Mirror Displays" checkbox remains unchecked but no action is taken. Even the checkbox to display in the menu does not work.

I am using Leopard, version 10.5.1. Is it possible that the problem is attributed to the LCD television? Is there any way to diagnose what the problem is?

Thanks.

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

Have you tried pressing the Detect Displays button? Also, it is possible that the MacBook is trying to push a resolution that the TV cannot handle.