Mirror iPhone (Messages)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bulliondesk, May 20, 2015.

1. bulliondesk macrumors member

When Mirror iPhone is on for Messages and you delete a text message from your iPhone should it also delete on the Watch automatically? If so.. the messages that I delete on my iPhone still show on my Watch and I have to manually delete them from my Watch.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

No. Just like messages I delete on my phone are not deleted on my Macbook.

3. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

Really? I have it also set to Mirror E-Mail.. and when I delete an email on my :apple:Watch the email is deleted on my iPhone and Macbook.

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

That's different. Two different protocols. Two different systems. Etc.

E-Mail uses something called imap. So when you delete something from your e-mail account, it sends a message back to the imap server to remove the message from your server. Then everything gets sync'd to all devices, so it removes the e-mail from your inbox on your other devices.

iMessages just pushes out the messages to devices (and whether or not they were read). There is no syncing to the server regarding deletion. So those messages are stored locally on your device, and when you delete one, you are only deleting the local copy. So you gotta do it everywhere. If you have a Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Watch, you'll have to do it in 4 places.

5. bulliondesk thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I had no clue. Appreciate the detailed response.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple will most likely streamline it in a future OS update, but that's how it is currently.

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

No problem, my pleasure :). Glad to help! And I also would love for them to add this feature as well :)

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I wish messages worked like that. I have to delete messages in 3 locations.

Also remember emails are stored in the cloud. You are deleting from only 1 place.