Mirror Screen Protector for Long-Term Heavy Usage and Reading [Also Privacy Screen]

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mechanesthesia, Aug 2, 2011.

1. mechanesthesia macrumors member

Is there anyone that has had a Mirror Screen Protector for a relatively long time and reads a lot on the iPhone [articles, web browsing, ebooks, etc.]?
    How is your experience, does the mirror screen protector make it hard to read for long periods of time?
    How about the Privacy Screen protectors?

I'm asking because I used to have a mirror screen protector when I initially got my phone and it didn't bother me. I only had it for about a month though, and I had to take it off because my iPhone was defective and I had to exchange it for a new one.

I've been without a screen protector for almost a year. Since then, I have become a very heavy user of my phone and I typically spend about an hour or so reading blogs and articles on my phone, where I am really focusing my vision. Now I am also getting into reading ebooks on my iPhone as well.

I don't want to strain my eyes or anything. Is it something I can get used to or is it a big problem?

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I used to have mirror protectors on my 3G and, while it looked nice, it was a pain to use the phone on a daily basis even for basic phone needs.

Both mirror protectors and privacy protectors will "dull" the screen so you'll be squinting a lot in order to read what's on the screen. The privacy screen especially will cause a rainbow effect on your screen which gets annoying after awhile. Forget about using your phone outside in daylight if you have a mirror protector on there. I never used my phone for any heavy reading or anything but, just from normal use, i.e. dialing a number or typing a text, having the privacy/mirror protectors on there really made it difficult to look at for long periods of time.

In the dark, or any night, they work fine but for most practical uses, I wouldn't recommend using either of them.

That and if you have an iPhone 4, the privacy protector will kill the looks of the retina display.