Mirror VMware to new hard drive?

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
I just replaced my MacbookPro's hard drive with a new 500gb, and used Disc Utility to mirror the OS X portion of old one onto the new one. Now how do I copy my VMWare partition of Windows over? thanks

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Is your VMWare install using a Boot Camp partition?

If so, you should just be able to use Winclone to make an image of the old one and restore it to the new drive.

Otherwise, it should alsready have copied over as part of your OS X partition.

B

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Is your VMWare install using a Boot Camp partition?

If so, you should just be able to use Winclone to make an image of the old one and restore it to the new drive.

Otherwise, it should alsready have copied over as part of your OS X partition.

B
Ever since SL Winclone has not worked for me. Hopefully they'll get it fixed. I really loved the easy migration winclone provided.

Cheers,

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
It was not in a Bootcamp partition. I still have my 'Virtual Machines' folder in Documents, but VMware will not load windows. It says "File not found: Windows XP Professional--s002.vmdk". What should I do? thanks

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It was not in a Bootcamp partition. I still have my 'Virtual Machines' folder in Documents, but VMware will not load windows. It says "File not found: Windows XP Professional--s002.vmdk". What should I do? thanks
Have you looked for a file of that name using spotlight or looked to see if a tool like Disk Inventory X/Daisy Disk/OmniDiskSweeper would reveal a large file hanging out there that would be your disk image.

My guess is that the volume label changed when you moved to the new drive and something is looking for /Volumes/OldName/Pathname instead of /Volumes/NewName/PathName.

It's just a guess...

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.