Mirror VMware to new hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jknight8907, Dec 6, 2009.

1. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I just replaced my MacbookPro's hard drive with a new 500gb, and used Disc Utility to mirror the OS X portion of old one onto the new one. Now how do I copy my VMWare partition of Windows over? thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Is your VMWare install using a Boot Camp partition?

If so, you should just be able to use Winclone to make an image of the old one and restore it to the new drive.

Otherwise, it should alsready have copied over as part of your OS X partition.

B

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Ever since SL Winclone has not worked for me. Hopefully they'll get it fixed. I really loved the easy migration winclone provided.

Cheers,

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It works for me if I turn off compressed mountable images.

B

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

if that's on by default I'll turn it off and try again.

Cheers

6. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

It was not in a Bootcamp partition. I still have my 'Virtual Machines' folder in Documents, but VMware will not load windows. It says "File not found: Windows XP Professional--s002.vmdk". What should I do? thanks

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Have you looked for a file of that name using spotlight or looked to see if a tool like Disk Inventory X/Daisy Disk/OmniDiskSweeper would reveal a large file hanging out there that would be your disk image.

My guess is that the volume label changed when you moved to the new drive and something is looking for /Volumes/OldName/Pathname instead of /Volumes/NewName/PathName.

It's just a guess...

B