Mirroring ALL of my Macs (remotely too)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bhouse, Apr 13, 2008.

1. bhouse Guest

Okay, so I have 2 macs (may get a 3rd) and I'm interested in "mirroring" the hard-drives so that when I turn on each computer it looks exactly the same. Same environment. Same folders. Everything is in the same location, etc. Essentially I want my computers networked.

Right Now I Have:

1 iMac G4 (Leopard) & 1 MacBook Pro (Leopard).

For example, I want to be able to make a correction to a file, say an MS Word .doc for argument sake, and have that newly corrected file show up on my other computer instantly or maybe hourly, etc. Is there a program that accomodates this? Also, what if I am with my laptop away from my iMac, say Im in another part of town with internet access, can this type of "mirroring" be done remotely?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

.mac may get you close to what you want,

works well enough for me.

try if free for 60 days

3. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Maybe some network attached storage would be good for you. There isn't really a way of syncing your computers so they will look the same all of the time. If you ripped a large video, say 4 gig, it would have to transfer over to the other computer.

So it's either .mac for smaller files as the speed depends on your internet connection and you only get 10GB or a NAS so you can have a central repository for documents that can be viewed and edited from both computers.