Mirroring different monitors at different resolutions?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kirkbross, Sep 19, 2008.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I have a ViewSonic VPW425 (as display #2) and a 30" ACD (as primary) and when I select "Mirror Displays" it sucks the ACD down to ViewSonic's inferior resolution. Is there a way to clone displays and have them at different resolutions. i.e. I'd like the ACD at 2560x1600 and the ViewSonic at its max, both showing the same image.

Thanks-

2. kolax macrumors G3

It isn't a clone if they are at different resolutions. Just isn't possible.

Think about it - the cursor will take longer to move to the bottom of the screen on the higher resolution one, as well as things like the Dock being in a different position pixel wise.

Run one monitor as the primary, and the other as an extension, and drag any applications into that one.

Why do you want them to be mirrored, out of curiosity?

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Not possible. Either deal with having them as extended displays or with the smaller resolution being the max on the other display.

When you say "sucked down" is there a black border around the image? If so, you can simply change that screen to that same resolution and it will fill the screen again, however, it will be at much lower quality than if it was at native resolution.

TEG

4. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Yeah... I realize now this isn't gonna happen.

The reason I want it cloned is because (it's actually a friend's setup) he has his ACD as the working monitor and the TV mounted on the wall above the ACD for clients to view from seats behind.

He'll just have to drag the stuff he wants to show clients over to the TV.

Matching the ViewSonic's resolution on the ACD to achieve true mirroring isn't an option, as you can imagine it defeats the purpose of owning a badass 30" monitor.

Thanks for the input-