Mirroring eMac display?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 76ShovelHead, Nov 22, 2011.

1. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I just decided to put my eMac on top of my rear projection TV. I have it sitting next to the cable box and the surround sound box, in which it's connected through the aux port. But now my question is, can I mirror my desktop to the TV? Like through the usb and and compatible software?

Kinda like screen recycler tricks the mac that another computer on the network is an extended monitor. It makes the perfect HTPC for me, as I can use it for all my iTunes music and such, but I would like to be able to watch a movie from it too on my rear projection.

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The eMac supports mirroring through it's mini-VGA port. You can find mini-VGA to VGA/DVI/Composite adaptors on ebay pretty cheap. You'll only be able to mirror at the eMac's native resolution by default, apparently you can use SwitchResX to enable other resolutions.

Extended desktop is supported using a different tweak, you can find information on it here.

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Yeah, do it through the mini DVI port, but there's a tweak called screen spanning doctor that allows extended monitors on mirror only displays, check it out.

4. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Thank you both. I wasn't aware of such an adaptor (mini-VGA to DVI/Composite) or that it could be done. I knew the eMac had the port to do it, but thought that port was for projectors or similar equipment only.