Mirroring iOS to tv wirelessly w/o ATV

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by absynthetic, Mar 27, 2014.

1. absynthetic macrumors newbie

Is it possible to mirror my iPhone 5s screen to my TV wirelessly via my xbox 360 instead of an Apple TV? I want to play my games on the big screen.

If not, I'd be interested in writing an app to do this, but I don't know how well objective C plays with Microsoft products...

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Nope.

Plus mirroring via WiFi is too laggy for games.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You're going to need an AppleTV. You can pick up a refurbished one for $85, a used one for less. If I recall correctly, I sold my ATV 2 for $60(pretty stupid choice, since jailbroken ones were selling for $150-200 on ebay at one point)

4. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Nope. Mac is designed to Mirror out not in.

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

With Airserver, you can. I'e been using it for awhile now, really great app.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out

8. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I can play games quite well using airplay, played Bug Heroes 2 and the lag was neglectable along with Asphalt 8 though some games really don't work well like NOVA 3 and Modern Combat 4 ( probably due to textures should try with an iPhone 5 since it has 5GHz) but Modern Combat 3 does work really well if you have a controller.

9. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

I've measured 130-150ms lag via AirPlay, using 802.11n between the iPhone 5 and the router some 1.5 meters away and a wired connection between the router and the ATV. (I'll re-measure these figures with A7-based devices soon.)

This kind of lag makes any kind of action / racing games very frustrating to play. (Speaking of experience.) If you do have a controller, make sure you purchase a HDMI adapter - it'll reduce the lag to around 80ms (figure measured by me a year ago with the iPhone5 and the Lightning - HDMI adapter), which is far better (albeit not as good as the 0ms lag of the earlier 30-pin adapters).

10. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Mirroring iOS to tv wirelessly w/o ATV

Real racing 3 does seems to lag quite a bit but Asphalt 8 isn't as bad. Could be that certain developers do a better job of optimizing their games for airplay than others (possibly using some kind of lag comp?). Also lightning to HDMI Adaptor has the exact same lag rate (actually a bit less) as airplaying due to a SOC inside the cable that limits it (Arm 6; 256 MB of RAM). The iPad 3, iPhone 4S, and iPad 2 are the last "high-end" devices to fully support HDMI since the original 30 pin does not have a SOC that limit performance.

11. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I've done this before by using X-Mirage to mirror my iPad screen on my laptop, then wiring my laptop into my television.

12. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

At least according to my (exact) measurements, AirPlay (over the above-mentioned configuration) was about 75% laggier (140/80ms). I'll repeat the tests with the new A7 hardware but I don't think AirPlay has become significantly better in the meantime.

BTW, I used the ATV3 as the AirPlay receiver.

----------

Yup - Lightning is, regrettably, not as an engineering miracle as Apple wants us to believe, to put it mildly. Actually, they could have done much better - after all, Mini DisplayPort uses 1 or 2 signal lines and it still manages to output uncompressed 1080p60 HDMI, unlike the USB2-based (and, therefore, slowish) Lightning.

13. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

The lag inputs for lightning to HDMI was something I remember off a website so I'll take your measurements. There have been some speculation over the SOC in the cable over at Anandtech and Reddit, with some interesting theories. Hard to say what the purpose of having a SOC that severely limits the cable.

14. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

I've published several articles on the Lightning connector here at the MR forum too - you may have read those articles?

Because non-tech savvy people (the vast majority of iOS users) don't know it was a big mistake on Apple's part not trying to come up with something like Mini DisplayPort on Android (see e.g. the Nexus 7 2013 - my $30 DP adapter is working just great on my N7, without any lag), which allows for uncompressed, non-lagging HDMI output over 1 or 2 physical wires. That is, they (these users) just accept the lag / somewhat inferior image quality, believing "it's the price to be paid for such a small connector".

15. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Do you know if the audio output from the lightning port to be superior or inferior to the 30 pin ( for docking to speakers)?

16. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

It should be the same - IIRC, it's analogue.

17. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

At least they didn't mess with the audio.