Mirroring iPad 2 on Older TV

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Zodiak, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Zodiak macrumors regular

Hello all :)

I have an older RCA Scenium 61 inch Rear projection tv. It does not have HDMI and only has DVI.

Here is a Picture:
    [​IMG]

I have found that going from the iPad 2 +HDMI connector, going to an HDMI to DVI cable, I can get video.

I know you cant get audio over DVI, but using the microphone jack, what kind of cable can i get to connect to my TV for the best possible sound? I am trying to get the least amount of wires sticking out. I have no speakers and I am using the TV Speakers. Are there any wireless solutions without AppleTV?

I am very bad with cables, connectors and wireing. I have included a picture of the connections on my tv.

Also, I measured that my TV is at least 15 feet away, since it is pretty big. I tried ordering some cables on www.monoprice.com but is it normal that HDMI cables are super HUGE and THICK? or is it possible to find some smaller thinner ones? The ones i purchased are ungodly thick and heavy, it feels like your fighting a snake each time you want to get them to bend a certain way.

Please help, I dont know where to find information on this :(

Thank you!

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Just throwing this out there, but why don't you get these cables and send video and audio to your TV at once? If you "need" to use HDMI, you'll need something like this to get audio from the headphone jack to your TV. Once you have that adapter, it's up to you what cables you get.

3. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

An excellent reason to purchase a new flat screen.

4. Zodiak thread starter macrumors regular

I would love to, but I cant find anyway to dispose of a TV like this locally and I dont have the money for anything nice right now :(

I guess the answer to that are a few things. Even though its an older TV, I wanted to make sure the image quality was the best that it can be. As I mentioned, I dont know cables much but I have a good eye for detail. HDMI is better (which I dont have) But DVI is available, and its supposed to be better then Component AV (I could be mistaken)?

Also, my television is a little over 15 feet away because of its size, apple branded cables or apple related cables tend to be very short.

Cables tend to be VERY expensive also. Monoprice has great prices on lengths of cable but they dont supply any apple related cables at all.

Would this work for the sound? http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1021804&p_id=5601&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Unfortunately the cables I need on Monoprice are VERY thick. Does anyone know if they even make any thin or flat HDMI or 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male cables?

Please keep the suggestions comming! :)

5. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I doubt that you would notice any difference in the video quality between the cable types on a rear projection TV.

6. Zodiak thread starter macrumors regular

I can understand that, it's more along the lines of, there's about 15-18 feet in length between where I sit and the back of the TV where the connections are.

If apple made something in that length, it would be fine. That is why i need to find alternatives :(

7. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Well, if all else fails, you can always buy a cheap folding chair and sit closer to the TV. I wish you luck. Maybe someone else will post a solution.

8. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

That should work for the audio. I say should because I haven't tested if the digital AV cable suspends audio coming from the headphone jack. It suspends all video on the iPad itself, so I could see it doing it with audio as well. Apple may assume that since you're using an HDMI cable, you won't be using the headphone jack. Can anyone test this?

9. Xphiledgex macrumors newbie

Yes you can use the headphone jack on the iPad for audio with the hdmi adapter plugged in. I run that same setup, hdmi adapter to hdmi to dvi to computer monitor and I run my audio out of the headphone jack.

10. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

You could get something like this. Ive been thinking of getting one also.

http://www.cablejive.com/dock-extender-cable