Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trondah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
I've been following developer seeds, and at some point the "Mirroring" menu extra (Airplay symbol) disappeared. Going into Settings -> Displays and toggling the "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" has no effect.

I can however start it manually by executing this command:

open "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Displays.menu"

But as soon as I reboot, it's gone again. Doesn't stick.

Please help :)

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The meaning of the menu item has changed from a quick way to change display settings (resolutions) to just for AirPlay. If you wanted it for display settings, use Option-F1 or Option-F2 to bring up the Display Preferences quickly.

trondah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
I don't have an AppleTV, I need it to control mirroring on/off and resolution for my TV set when connected. Any way to make the menuextra sticky?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
As I stated, the meaning of the menu has changed and is now for AirPlay only. It doesn't matter if it is sticky or not. Use Option-F1 or Option-F2 to bring up the Display Preference pane which allows you to turn on/off mirroring and set resolutions.

Suanmiao

macrumors member
May 3, 2008
I've been following developer seeds, and at some point the "Mirroring" menu extra (Airplay symbol) disappeared. Going into Settings -> Displays and toggling the "Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" has no effect.

I can however start it manually by executing this command:

open "/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Displays.menu"

But as soon as I reboot, it's gone again. Doesn't stick.

Please help :)

did you find a way to get it back? I'm on ML GM and mirroring option menu bar icon is still no show, so frustrating!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
did you find a way to get it back? I'm on ML GM and mirroring option menu bar icon is still no show, so frustrating!

That menu bar icon is now for AirPlay only (that's why its symbol is different). If you have an AirPlay capable device, the menu bar icon will show. There is no longer a menu bar icon for controlling externally connected displays. You can use Option-F1 or Option-F2 to quickly access the System Preferences Display pane to change mirroring and resolutions.

Suanmiao

macrumors member
May 3, 2008
That menu bar icon is now for AirPlay only (that's why its symbol is different). If you have an AirPlay capable device, the menu bar icon will show. There is no longer a menu bar icon for controlling externally connected displays. You can use Option-F1 or Option-F2 to quickly access the System Preferences Display pane to change mirroring and resolutions.

That sucks, I'm on projector all the time giving presentations and stuff, what a major inconvenience!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I am too, but I never have to adjust the controls after the first time, so it really doesn't matter.

trondah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008

Not completely correct. The icon can still be used to turn on mirroring, and also control the "match desktop size to" option.

But the resolution selection is gone now, and that's kinda what I was looking for.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Not completely correct. The icon can still be used to turn on mirroring, and also control the "match desktop size to" option.

But the resolution selection is gone now, and that's kinda what I was looking for.

When I force it on with an external monitor attached I don't get any of that, just a link to the preference pane. I am surprised that it shows the old icon, though.

Attachments

• Skitch.jpg
    Skitch.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 538

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
Apple is getting crazy. 10.9 won't have dual monitor support at all with all those "improvements" since Lion. They just want to prepare you for it that using dual monitor setup is useless.

epakman

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
Hi,

After I connect my mb pro running mac os 10.8.2 to apple tv 2 via airplay I lost the icon with an arrow and monitor at the top right row.

But the most important problem is my mb pro doesn't recognizes the tv that I used to use for screen mirroring via thunderbolt port to HDMI.

That happened just after my first use the airplay with apple tv 2. Any solution ideas for me to mirror screen with HDMI again?

PS: Detect displays icon was showed before airplay connection. But now I can only see it if I press option button. Even it does not detects my tv though.

BR

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Well, it's an old thread and I discovered the Display Menu App over year ago and started using it myself. But my solution (when this thread was active) to just use Option-F1 or Option-F2 to get to the display preferences still works with Mavericks as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.