Mirroring Nexus 5 screen to laptop?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by theapplefanboyj, Oct 1, 2014.

1. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

So I'd like to mirror my nexus 5's screen to my laptop. Watching TV shows from the phone to my laptop. My progress In videos obviously do not sync from my laptop to my phone so I have to do this.

2. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

You can do it through Chrome or if your laptop has an HDMI input just get a chromecast.

3. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

I still don't get why you need to stream a video from a mobile device to a laptop? You can use the phone like a external hdd...

5. Jibbajabba macrumors 65816

Same reason I was wondering the same while being abroad in a hotel with no movies in my own language and Netflix / Amazon Prime not being available / allowed.

Only way for me to have SOME entertainment was using Google Movies. Now at this stage it would have been nice to mirror the screen to the laptop so you have a larger screen to watch the movie, rather than on a small phone.

But to answer the question - not powerful enough .. Either via Chrome or other bits, the lag is almost too much to work with ..

6. lighthouse_man, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

If the videos reside on your Nexus and you want to stream to your Mac, then try AirServer on the Mac and one of the many Airplay apps in the Google store like AllCast. As for mirroring, you can google Chromecast emulator for mac. There are a few attempts and maybe one works.

7. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you all for replying.
    But how would you mirror it with chrome?