Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

momofrg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
Providence, RI
Xiaomi copies Apple... and now they went for the extra mile... Ridiculous...

10pmyj5.jpg

Reactions: scapegoat81

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
It's actually pretty cool if you think about. No need to be upset with someone copying others. Also, if you wanted more xiaomi hating responses, posting in the alternatives section wasn't a good idea.

momofrg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
Providence, RI
It's actually pretty cool if you think about. No need to be upset with someone copying others. Also, if you wanted more xiaomi hating responses, posting in the alternatives section wasn't a good idea.

I'm not a hater at all, I just think that it's cheap to use that name... MacRumors / MiRumors....

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
I'm not a hater at all, I just think that it's cheap to use that name... MacRumors / MiRumors....

Yeah pretty unoriginal. If you're going to copy, try to be original. But you're no going to get a lot of support for this since 1. It can't be changed and 2. There are too many x copies apple and Apple copies x threads and posts all over the Internet and it gets repetitive over time. I understand that was not your intent though.

Reactions: momofrg

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Holy crap, another x copies Apple whine. I just don't get why you guys get so offended? I'm an iPhone user and I could care less, if anything I'm flattered and very happy that the competition will drive Apple to continue to exceed.

It's because Apple has developed a cult attitude within its fan base. I fully believe some would kill if ordered to by Apple.

Better go and get that tin foil hat on, I mean we have 9to5google.com! How much is that a copy of 9to5mac.com!!!! We will forget the fact both sites are run and owned by the same people eh.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Xiaomi copies Apple... and now they went for the extra mile... Ridiculous...

10pmyj5.jpg
on the surface it looks like they copied MacRumors. But then look at the product offerings by Xiaomi. I believe their flagship phone line is called the "Mi" so MiRumors makes a little sense.

Reactions: mojolicious

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Xiaomi have always been unoriginal in everything they do. Just look at their products and the names given to the products and you'll see a common theme.

Think TEG Heuer, Rolax, Mersades, etc... LOL

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Yeah very true. The xiaomi note is a perfect example.
I wasn't going to get into specifics, but that was one product I was thinking of. Xiaomi caters to the lower income brcket of China with knock-off iPhones and Galaxy phones. It is one reason why Xiaomi hasn't sold outside China. The lawsuits would kill them off. I thought when they brought Hugo Barra in 3 years ago, they would change their business model, but so far, that has not been the case. Until they do, you won't see any of their phones sold direct in Europe or North America.

Reactions: iphonedude2008

momofrg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2015
Providence, RI
I wasn't going to get into specifics, but that was one product I was thinking of. Xiaomi caters to the lower income brcket of China with knock-off iPhones and Galaxy phones. It is one reason why Xiaomi hasn't sold outside China. The lawsuits would kill them off. I thought when they brought Hugo Barra in 3 years ago, they would change their business model, but so far, that has not been the case. Until they do, you won't see any of their phones sold direct in Europe or North America.

Do you think they aim to compete in Europe / USA ? I mean, China and India alone are huge markets... I wonder if they want to expand after that

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
Do you think they aim to compete in Europe / USA ? I mean, China and India alone are huge markets... I wonder if they want to expand after that

I think Xiaomi is fine where they are. They cater to the majority of the smartphone market. Expanding to the US would cost to much and would not bring as much profit since the competition is much more established in the US

Reactions: jamezr

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
China is a huge economic market. India not so much. Margins are too slim and competition with other Indian based OEM's means less sales than you would think.
Profits are in 3 markets: China, Europe and Canada/US. If you want to make money in the industry, you have to be successful in all 3. Huawei seems to be the first Chinese company to do break out into all 3 (aided by the fact that they made the best Nexus phone so far).
*** Motorola isn't included in this, as they were bought out by a Chinese company.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Holy crap, another x copies Apple whine. I just don't get why you guys get so offended? I'm an iPhone user and I could care less, if anything I'm flattered and very happy that the competition will drive Apple to continue to exceed.
But... but... but... I spent good money buying a boutique item to show how elite I am! If other companies are going to copy Apple's look and style then they should compensate me for the difference. I mean, it is completely unfair for people to think that I have some cheapo Samsung iPhone wannabe when I actually forked out the dough for the real thing. :mad:

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Nothing at all. It was a tongue in cheek example of the use of Mac Rumours and who used it first.

I noticed years ago, Fleetwood Mac would pop up on a Google search for Mac Rumours.

Seemed an apt place to post a link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.