Misaligned hinge on iBook.. NOT covered by Applecare?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Borjan, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Borjan macrumors regular

Hi there.

I'm from the UK, and own a late rev iBook G4 (1.33Ghz). And yes, it still has Applecare.

Basically, one day I was using the machine as normal, and then I went to move the lid slightly, and heard what I would call a semi loud crack. I was scared... umm... 'poopless', but after checking the machine it seemed okay. The only difference was a slight loosening of the lid.

Now, this is actually unrelated to the misaligned top casing, as I believe that has been like this for some time. Basically, when I close the lid, the screen is off from the bottom casing by about 2-3mm.

I was thinking off selling this iBook soon, so decided that whilst I was happy to live with these problems, I wanted the iBook in tip-top shape for when I sold it. So I booked an appointment in with the Apple Store and told them the story above...

"Sorry sir, the Applecare doesn't cover this, the hinges are pretty strong and you've have to have damaged them yourself for this to happen. It's going to cost you about £85 to repair."

No I was tired at the time, and didn't put up much of a fight, and I kinda felt sorry for the guy who was serving me. I could kinda see that didn't 100% think that what he was doing was the right thing, but hey, it was company policy... Anyway, maybe I should have put up more of a fight. All I said to him calmly was "I understand that you have no way to prove that I am saying the truth, but I really was using it normally..."

End result, nothing happened. What can I do now guys?

2. LondonGooner macrumors regular

Put up a fight and dont take no for an answer, i never do and it works well for me.

3. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

I agree. 'Genius' probably did not feel like doing the paperwork. Raise the devil - you have applecare!:D

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Applecare doesn't cover this type of damage, it is not a defect of the product guys.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have to agree :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

The latch on mine wore out, and applecare replaced it... You have the right to expect your computer not to wear out before applecare expires (IMHO).

7. Borjan thread starter macrumors regular

Well, in the end, I made my feelings known through the feedback program that Apple have, and tonight, Toby from the Apple store was kind enough to call me back.

He's asked me to come back in, and he'll get someone to have another look at it.

In my mind, excellent customer service, and I don't expect anything less from a such a company. :)

8. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Well done. :) And way to not be a jerk about it. Two thumbs up.

9. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I've been told "No" before at the genius bar myself. What worked for me was just to go home and call Applecare to make the service request over the phone. Granted it involves them sending me a box to mail my item in for service, but they've never refused me service either. Since the shipping's overnight both ways it never takes more than a few days.
    Just a thought.

10. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Fantastic! Long way around - but hopefully it all goes right to have it fixed properly and under applecare.