Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2015
Recently my MacBook Air 13 inch mid 2012 stopped charging. No light on charger, battery won't charge, etc. So I took it down to an Apple store and they ran their diagnostic on it and i saw that it said the battery was not receiving power and appeared to be in good health, but the genius said the battery was shot. $130 and 4 hours later I pick up the MacBook. I turn it on and everything looks fine. I started the 45 minute drive home only to plug it in and see the issue is still there! At this point it is almost 10pm and the Apple Store is well closed. I call up apple and they scheduled an appointment for me at a different store (original store didn't have any appointments until thursday) today. I went in there and they tried all the different resets, despite me doing them multiple times, to no avail. The genius came out of the back and said that is was most likely a MagSafe board problem. He said they would need to ship it out to get it repaired! Why couldn't they do it in store instead of me waiting a few days to get back? He said there was a flat fee of $280 not including the new parts, but I brought up that it was misdiagnosed. He said to call apple to get a refund and assured me that the repairs would be free despite being out of warranty. That would be a surprise if the $xxx repair is free on top of the refunded $130 battery! Since the laptop is almost 5 years old and most parts are being replaced for free do you think I should sell it now while I can still get $500-$600 for it and buy a new one? Or should I just use it for another 3-4 years? Thanks!

Questions:

A - has anyone had this issue with a MacBook Air?

B - how much did the repairs cost you?

C - has anyone been given free repair because of misdiagnosis?

D - has your issue been misdiagnosed by apple?

E - would you recommend that I sell the laptop while it is still worth something or just keep using it?

F - why can't apple do repairs like that in store?

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
$280 is the standard ship out repair cost. The reason it can not be repaired in store is that magsafe components are not kept in stock at stores for units older than 3 years.

Carbar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2015
$280 is the standard ship out repair cost. The reason it can not be repaired in store is that magsafe components are not kept in stock at stores for units older than 3 years.
Ah I see. On top of the flat rate how much do MagSafe boards cost?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The flat rate repair service includes parts needed to complete the repair.
It's actually a good deal, particularly if several parts are replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.