Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Guys,

I know many of you will say that his problem is bound to happen 1 But still I wanted to confirm, I also have an iPhone 4S which I use fro time to time it is on iOS 9.3 It is so goddamn slow, it hangs up a lot of time, the APP Switching is Horrendous. The Phone Freezes lot of time. is this bound to happen because of the 512 MB RAM Not enough to support the iOS 9.3 is it because of that ?

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Guys,

I know many of you will say that his problem is bound to happen 1 But still I wanted to confirm, I also have an iPhone 4S which I use fro time to time it is on iOS 9.3 It is so goddamn slow, it hangs up a lot of time, the APP Switching is Horrendous. The Phone Freezes lot of time. is this bound to happen because of the 512 MB RAM Not enough to support the iOS 9.3 is it because of that ?

Most likely, in this day an age apps use more memory. The 5S had 1gb and even that’s showing signs of not coping well with some apps. Yes they run, but nowhere near as fast as the newer flagships!

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
And the 4S had 512 MB of RAM it is largely because of that right ? iOS 9.3 requires some good RAM which 4S doesn't perhaps that's the reason ? is it ?

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
And the 4S had 512 MB of RAM it is largely because of that right ? iOS 9.3 requires some good RAM which 4S doesn't perhaps that's the reason ? is it ?

Well app and os resources are more likely to occupy a high amount of memory compared to what the phone has.

Over time apps do get bloated, it’s just the newer phones have the memory to handle it.

So yes it’s because a device in 2017 with 512mb if ram is rarely seen as a good performer.

It is like using a pc with windows xp and 256mb of memory! It was fast back in the day but times have changed and tech moves on!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Tha RAM yes. I am still using the same model but with iOS7.1.2, and it is only Safari that crashes regularly, and that when you run into heavy websites.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Based on speed comparison videos I've watched, the 4S turned out to be the dog of the lineup, despite the "S". This is a prime example of why it's such a shame that Apple doesn't allow legacy devices to be downgraded. The 4 series phones were so elegant and speedy when they were released and for some silly reason were allowed to be updated to iOS versions that rendered them practically unusable. iOS 9 (or iOS 8 in the case of the 4) also has security vulnerabilities that have been patched in later versions so that argument doesn't really hold water anymore.

Reactions: mikzn

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
The 4S is one of the few devices you can revert back to iOS 6.

The method isn't too complicated but does involve a jailbreak.

I did it to mine and the phone is back to being very fast -- faster than my iPhone 6 that should be several times faster.

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
Did it only become slow at iOS 9? My 4 became unusably slow after I upgraded it to iOS 7 ( I think?) and that was 3.5 years ago! Consider your phone a lucky one. Lol

What we really need to do is to view any iOS update as a two edged sword and not necessarily a good thing. A lot of times the features are not worth the sacrifice.

Reactions: Altis

darrylcn

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
The 4S is one of the few devices you can revert back to iOS 6.

The method isn't too complicated but does involve a jailbreak.

I did it to mine and the phone is back to being very fast -- faster than my iPhone 6 that should be several times faster.

I bought a 4S specifically for this purpose. It's not difficult, here is the guide I used, there's even a YouTube instructional walkthrough.

http://www.inati0n.com/how-to-downg...phone-4s-ipad-2-without-itunes-or-shsh-blobs/

Reactions: Altis

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I knew someone who had a 4s until recently (a year ago). The phone had way over 1200 charge cycles and barely had 60% battery life capacity left. They HATED Apple because of their experience with the phone. They have an android now. Funny enough, 1 year after getting an S7? S6? they're complaining how slow the phone is - watching them try 3-4 times to try to answer a call cuz of how laggy the screen is. They still hate Apple with a passion and laugh at anyone with an iPhone.

Yeah, seems like if you wanna keep a phone for a long time, 2 years of iOS upgrades and stop after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.