Miserable with my Windows machine...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Falcor, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Falcor macrumors newbie

I've had so many problems with my PC over the last year, I'm about ready to chunk it out the window. Aside from the normal computer problems everyone has, I have extremely bad luck with malware constantly installing itself on my system.. despite having every firewall and anti-malware software known to man installed. I format my harddrive, somewhere around 4-5 times a year because of crap like that, and its never long before my computer starts picking it all up again.

Being that I'm a graphic artist, I've lost a lot of drawings and concept sketches due to constant problems.. if its not the malware thing, then its something else.. programs will just close suddenly without warning, or blue screen of death will take me out before I can save my work. Most of my work is done on a Wacom tablet, so I need a computer to do most of it. But its been more of a hinderance than it has a help.

Now that my rant is out of the way (I'm very sorry for that, but I'm extremely frusterated right now) I'd really like to know if the Mac systems really do the things they advertise. Is it true spyware and stuff like that cant be contracted on these machines? If so, I'm already sold. I've always seen their ads, saying their systems are well suited to people in the creative industry, but I've always shrugged it off being that all my software is for PC.. and I'd have to buy these expensive photoshop suites AGAIN. But... I'm now at my breaking point. I need to figure something out here so I can start getting my work done.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's true. No malware here (and no annoying anti-virus software). We just don't need it. :)

And you'd be buying the Creative Suite at just the right time because a new version was just released.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

The stuff about the lack of spyware, malware and viruses is completely true. Simply hasn't been a problem since OS X. That's not to say it's impossible and that something won't crop up in the future, but if you watch this site, you'll get a heads up about any issues.

As for the software crossover...call up Adobe and ask (I've seen several posts in some of the CS3 threads about people getting crossovers)...and now that CS3 is here, there's no better time to ask.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well there are no viruses or malware in the wild for the Mac - yet. There is bound to be some someday so don't get complacent. Microsoft Office documents are subject to viruses across platforms, and of course re: spyware, anything you explicitly invite onto your machine and execute (by download or email or website) WILL be able to do whatever it does.

Every hard drive in the world is going to fail, sooner or later. Every operating system in the world is going to crash or have bugs at some point.

Losing your artwork isn't down to Windows, it's down not having an adequate backup and versioning strategy. You gotta back up. And when you are doing work, you have to save often and periodic milestone versions, named in such a way that you can roll back to the next most recent version if the one you're working on goes all pear-shaped.

The Mac is a great platform. You will have many small adjustments to make in your habitual way of operating. Don't go into this holding the Mac up as your virtual saviour -- your fall back to reality will be that much harder if you do. Be realistic, schedule enough time to get to know the system, and make your decisions pragmatically.

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

What CanadaRAM said. You'll probably be happier with a Mac, and I'd recommend it, but you can't ignore backups. Get a Mac and then get Leopard when it comes out...it has Time Machine, which looks like a pretty slick backup solution. Keep in mind that you need two hard drives though. But you should have that anyway.

--Eric

6. nplima macrumors 6502a

pwnage!

hi!

don't mean to be cruel, but that's usually not a matter of bad luck :)

Why don't you tell us about your security procedures and how you set up your PC when you start from scratch every time?

Next time, try this instead of all the protections known to man:
    - get a hardware router. any cheap one that allows your computer to be behind NAT instead of directly connected to the modem. Linksys WRT54 is my choice.
    - use a friend's (sane) computer to get some software: Avast! and Zonealarm firewall. the firewall you can get from http://www.oldversion.com . pick version 5.5 and do not update to any modern version. ever. then get Firefox and Thunderbird from here: www.getfirefox.com
    - go to this website and get the HOSTs file they have there: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    - Get Adblock Plus for Firefox
    - when you format and start your windows XP instalation, do it without network connections. just unplug the cable from the computer.

After you have Windows running, replace the Hosts file with the one I recommended. Then install zonealarm and Avast!. Replace Internet Explorer with Firefox, then promise that you'll never use IE again. same with Outlook and outlook Express. Now you can plug the network cable back in :)

Send me a private message 6 months from now and tell me how's the malware running :)

7. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Won't Spaces handle that when Leopard comes out?

8. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Spaces are virtual work spaces or desktops. Time Machine is the back-up mechanism.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You mean time machine?

10. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

:eek: :eek: Yes :eek: :eek:

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I'll believe it when I see it (literally...)

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I did that once about a year ago, and I went about a year without any issues..... and then my integrated video card broke, and I couldn't use the laptop.

But the XP instillation still works, if you can find a way to boot it. ;)

From my point of view, it's never that macs are any better then windows (for most tasks, and many people may disagree with me), but that IE is just so bad that it messes the whole OS up and gives Windows a bad name.

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

There's a whole industry that depends on screwed up Windows..;)

14. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

Macs are better. They dont fail anywhere near as much asn nowhere near as much as a windoze.

Get a mac and be happier. I am.

15. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I am/was in a similar situation as you and have just made the switch to a Mac Pro.

As for buying all that software again, I have talked to Adobe and they do allow cross-platform upgrades (I haven't done it yet....waiting for CS3). You can't do it online, you have to call. Basically, they have you sign and fax back a software destruction agreement saying that you will destroy your PC versions. Then they will mail you out your Mac versions of the software.

There is no extra charge, same pricing that would apply for the PC upgrade, applies for the Mac upgrade.

Once CS3 is out....my professional transition to the Mac will be complete.

It is a great platform and great OS.

-Kevin

16. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

I'd be curious to know what kind of sites you are visiting. I never had any problems and have very few problems with my children's pc, and I only run adaware a few times a month and run avast for free anti virus. What kind of things were you doing to bring up that nasty kind of stuff, or was no one around to help point you in the right direction?

17. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

I have the vonage version of that router and you really dont need a firewall at all. Also if you dont like firefox, and prefer explorer, try out AVANT Browser. It's really good. Use AVAST, and keep it running for virus, and like he said you should have trouble.