MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Misfit today debuted its second-generation Shine activity tracker, which has been redesigned to incorporate new technology. The Shine 2 is thinner than the original Shine and it includes more accurate activity and sleep tracking capabilities along with improved LEDs, longer Bluetooth range, and better touch responsiveness.

There are now several multicolor LEDs built into the face of the Shine, which, along with a vibration motor, allow users to see their progress towards their daily goals and get reminders to get up and move. The Shine 2 also works with Misfit Link, so it can be used to do things like take selfies, receive call notifications, control music, control home products, and more.

misfit2.jpg

The Shine 2, like the original Shine, is made of aluminum, and it measures in at just 3.3mm thick at the edge. Its built-in LEDs are able to display more than 6 million colors and their greater brightness makes it easier to tell the time and see progress towards a movement goal.

Misfit's newest device continues to operate on a standard watch battery, so it lasts up to six months on a single charge, and it's water resistant up to 50 meters, making it suitable for swim tracking.

misfit2onwrist.jpg

The Shine 2 comes in Rose Gold and Carbon Black, with each of the Shine 2 trackers shipping with a sport band and a clasp. The Shine 2, priced at $99.99, is available for purchase from the Misfit website and it will be in retail stores beginning on November 1.

Article Link: Misfit Announces 'Shine 2' With Multicolor LEDs, Vibration Motor for Alerts

Aston441

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014

Misfit today debuted its second-generation Shine activity tracker, which has been redesigned to incorporate new technology. The Shine 2 is thinner than the original Shine and it includes more accurate activity and sleep tracking capabilities along with improved LEDs, longer Bluetooth range, and better touch responsiveness.

There are now several multicolor LEDs built into the face of the Shine, which, along with a vibration motor, allow users to see their progress towards their daily goals and get reminders to get up and move. The Shine 2 also works with Misfit Link, so it can be used to do things like take selfies, receive call notifications, control music, control home products, and more.

misfit2.jpg

The Shine 2, like the original Shine, is made of aluminum, and it measures in at just 3.3mm thick at the edge. Its built-in LEDs are able to display more than 6 million colors and their greater brightness makes it easier to tell the time and see progress towards a movement goal.

Misfit's newest device continues to operate on a standard watch battery, so it lasts up to six months on a single charge, and it's water resistant up to 50 meters, making it suitable for swim tracking.

misfit2onwrist.jpg

The Shine 2 comes in Rose Gold and Carbon Black, with each of the Shine 2 trackers shipping with a sport band and a clasp. The Shine 2, priced at $99.99, is available for purchase from the Misfit website and it will be in retail stores beginning on November 1.

Article Link: Misfit Announces 'Shine 2' With Multicolor LEDs, Vibration Motor for Alerts

weird

Reactions: jezbd1997
Comment

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Wow... Why would anyone want that
I think it's good looking in a minimalist sort of way. And the waterproof quality is attractive. Six month battery is awesome. Sounds like it generally wants to do one thing; maybe it does that well (I don't get the selfie stuff for this particular device, but oh well)
I'm guessing here; it's not something that interests me as far as use. But those are some reasons someone might want this.

Reactions: TimSHB
Comment

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I don't think that word means what you think it means. It's clearly tangentially related to Apple products. Just not directly related

And I think you're just splitting hairs. Defined broadly enough, almost anything can be tangentially related. The fact of the matter is there isn't even so much as a reference to any Apple product in this entire article.

Comment

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I lost interest after their design flaw with the Misfit Flash band constantly breaking and the device falling out. Instead of fixing it they just kept sending bands which took forever to arrive here in the UK.

I thought their company had famous ex-Apple engineers. Their solution was just to ignore the problem and hope people would stop moaning about it.

Comment

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
I wonder how it holds up against shock. I've hit my watch against the wall or railing many times and it held up because of the sapphire glass (not Apple Watch). I really doubt this will hold up any shock.

Comment

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
My wife had one of these, because it's magnetic the watch would stick to all sorts of things and jump out of the case. She ended up losing it and we have no idea where, probably stuck to something magnetic in Boston.

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I lost interest after their design flaw with the Misfit Flash band constantly breaking and the device falling out. Instead of fixing it they just kept sending bands which took forever to arrive here in the UK.

I thought their company had famous ex-Apple engineers. Their solution was just to ignore the problem and hope people would stop moaning about it.
I've worked out a way to keep that design but have it "work". Now, to whom do I send my CV, Apple or Shine?

Comment

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
People in the market looking to buy this kinda entry level tracking devices should buy the Jawbone UP Move. It's costs about 50,- and is by far the best entry level product on the market not because of hardware ( they're all about the same quality ) but software wise, Jawbone is about the only company in this business that has and iOS app that is clearly FUN to use and play around with. Even with friends! connect with each other and sort of compete with friends. Track sleeping, walking, running, food if you like to go that deep into details.

See this review, we Apple Watch users could only wish we had this software behind our activity app.

Reactions: AppleInLVX
Comment

joshavtech

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
VA
Wow... Why would anyone want that

I actually used the Shine 1 along with an Apple Watch. I used it to track my movement and steps when I played high contact sports (such as basketball and football) because I was too scared of damaging the watch. Syncs with Apple Health too. But yeah, other than that I'd never buy it.

Comment

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010

Very true. I went through THREE MisFit Flash devices. The first one I lost because the belt clasp broke, the second one was defective, the third one works... kinda. The issue is that the sleep tracking is so inaccurate it's hilarious, and the iPhone app was sucking so much battery without a by-your-leave it wasn't funny. My phone showed 99% up time, even though I had disabled notifications, all background sync and location services for the app. The only way to stop the drain was to uninstall the app, which fixed the battery drain but made the tracker useless because I couldn't get the silly data off it.

The team at Misfit on the multiple occasions I contacted them were always very apologetic and seemed to want to help. They offered to send me a new one after I lost the first at a discount, but their shipping to Canada was more expensive then just buying another one at Best Buy. True story--when I bought the second one at Best Buy, I opened the package in the parking lot and the belt clasp and band were missing. I took it back, and it turned out that there were other packages that had been pilfered. The problem of breaking accesories is apparently so bad that people are stealing them out of the packages. The second replacement they sent to me at no charge (I guess that was a defective vs. lost situation).

Anyway, I like the device and used one or the other of the three I've had for most of this year. But it's three strikes. I think I'm outta here.

Comment

Justim

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
I'm pumped about this. I've been looking for a sleek low cost, low profile band to track sleep and have a text/call notifier instead of a smart watch that lets you read the messages.

Comment

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
If this had some sort of low power watch functionality (just to display hours:minutes) I would see a use for it, but having just a thing that looks like a watch but it's not even a watch doesn't work for me.

Comment

joshavtech

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
VA
If this had some sort of low power watch functionality (just to display hours:minutes) I would see a use for it, but having just a thing that looks like a watch but it's not even a watch doesn't work for me.

Technically, it does work as a watch. There are 12 LEDs around the watch that act as a clock. But it's ridiculously non-user friendly.

Comment

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
People in the market looking to buy this kinda entry level tracking devices should buy the Jawbone UP Move.

FYI, I took your advice. No regrets, so thank you for the recommendation. I can see what you mean about the software. It's quite impressive, and the device itself seems much more suited to my needs. Here's hoping it lasts until the inevitable day that I pick up an Apple Watch... probably a couple iterations from the current. :)

My only gripe is I think they ought to have included the wrist strap, but I have a workaround in place.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.