Misfit Partners With Speedo for New 'Speedo Shine' Swimming Activity Tracker

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Misfit today announced the launch of the "Speedo Shine," a new activity tracker that's been designed in partnership with Speedo, a company known for its swimwear and swimming accessories. Like Misfit's other products, the device tracks steps taken, various exercises, and sleep, but it also is able to track swimming activity.

The Speedo Shine is waterproof and features proprietary lap counting algorithms to measure laps taken when in the pool. According to Misfit and Speedo, the lap tracking capabilities feature "industry-leading accuracy" and have been tested at Speedo's Aqualab.

Lap counting works for all stroke types, and the data that's collected is displayed in the Misfit app for iOS. The app collects information on swim distance, lap count, calories burned, and fitness points earned. In the near future, the Speedo Shine will also sync with the Speedo Fit swim tracking app.

As with the existing Misfit Shine, the new Speedo Shine is a circular activity tracker worn on the wrist. It's crafted from aluminum and available in a new light silver color the company calls "Pure" with a black or white band.

The Speedo Shine with swim tracking capabilities will launch on September 1 and it will be sold in Apple retail stores, on Misfit's website, and on Speedo's website. It is priced at $79.99.

Article Link: Misfit Partners With Speedo for New 'Speedo Shine' Swimming Activity Tracker

Reactions: Arran

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
This is definitely worth watching,

I've been manually inputting my swim stats into the speedo fit iOS app for some months now because it feeds the data right into Apple Health.

This would automate that process and also save me from having to count laps in my head (28... 28... 28... 28... turn...29... 29.... <mind wanders>... hang on - was it 29 or 27?... 27... 27... 27....) :)

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I use a thing called a brain to count my laps. And failing that I use a ring lap-counter.
Well, I do that too, but I like thinking about other stuff when I swim. It's my deep-think time with no distractions.

So I frequently lose count and fall-back on total swim time as a stand-in for lap counting.

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
I wish they'd focus on delivering on app promises they've already made instead of more and more half-ready products. (I still can't control my Misfit Bolt with my Flash, or link my Bolt to anything besides my phone.) Plus I wouldn't be surprised if the Speedo Shine needs a separate app for swim tracking, since they seem to feel like every function needs it's own app. (Why isn't home control from the Flash integrated in the Misfit Home app? There's no need for that to require the Misfit Link app.)

I love their products, but it seems like they're spreading themselves thin.

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
I use a thing called a brain to count my lengths.
Here's the workout I did yesterday. My coach wrote it on the board, so I technically wouldn't need a swim tracker...

(400)
400 Warmup

(1000)
5x200
Alternating
- 100 pull/100 kick on 4:00
- free swim prog 1-4 by 50 on 3:20

(900)
9x100
3x
- IM drill on 2:00
- IM swim on 1:50
- 25 free all out/75 easy on 1:40

(300)
- 6x50 free all out on 1:10

(200)
- 2x100 25 free/25 back 1 mod/1 easy by 100 on 2:10

(300)
- 4x75 free all out on 1:50

(300)
- 3x100 25 free/25 back 1 mod/2 easy by 100 on 2:10

(300)
- 3x100 free all out on 2:30

(400)
- 4x100 25 free/25 back 1 mod/3 easy by 100 on 2:10

...But that's not the point. I'd like something to track this stuff and enter it into a health app. I manually add this stuff to Strava, but I don't get any telemetry about how efficient my stroke is, how well I swam, or how many calories this might have burned. (And actually, this adds up to 4100m, but I only did 4050 because I missed the first 50m warmup. So there's some inaccuracy to just writing down what was on the board.)

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I'm waiting for my Apple Watch to wake up and do this.

(It doesn't seem like a good sign if Apple is going to sell this competitors product in the Stores.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
i'm using the swim.com app on the pebble and it works quite well. tracks laps, pace, strokes (swolf). it does not however input into the health app nor does it differentiate between strokes. aside from that it does everything that I would want from a swim tracking app.

i have/had a misfit shine and was swimming with it when it just registered as an exercise/activity. even though this can track laps now, I'm not sure i'd go back since I like having a display while I swim to tell me how far & how long I've swam.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York

I've been manually inputting my swim stats into the speedo fit iOS app for some months now because it feeds the data right into Apple Health.

This would automate that process and also save me from having to count laps in my head (28... 28... 28... 28... turn...29... 29.... <mind wanders>... hang on - was it 29 or 27?... 27... 27... 27....) :)
So Speedo is trying to give competition to FINIS in this space.

The Speedo "Swim Shine" may look sleeker, and is cheaper, but the FINIS Swimsense does so much more than it does.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014

Just punish yourself with a lungbuster each time you lose track of the laps, and then you'll learn not to let mind wander, problem solved, hehe.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014

lol, you must be in great shape. For me it's more like "Was that 3 or 4?" And I can't even swim proper strokes without getting water up my nose. So I'm doing something more like a doggy paddle. I swim under the water very well though. But only because my daughter's friend taught me a couple of years ago...when she was 7. I'm pathetic.

brett_x

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
... And I can't even swim proper strokes without getting water up my nose. So I'm doing something more like a doggy paddle...
You must not be breathing out through your nose while under then. Generally, you should be breathing out the whole time your face is below the surface. (Though I am not an expert.) I learned to swim (crawl) primarily by watching youtube videos. There are a ton of them on swimming. Once you get into the crawl, you'll realize it's the most efficient ways to move through water, and your lap count will increase.

Frizers

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
So there is a tiny screen on the back of this with a counter... when its on your wrist how are you supposed to see it without taking the thing off? Assuming the point is you can see the lengths you have done as you swim rather than having to open a smart phone app to see it which for me would completely defeat its purpose.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
You must not be breathing out through your nose while under then. Generally, you should be breathing out the whole time your face is below the surface. (Though I am not an expert.) I learned to swim (crawl) primarily by watching youtube videos. There are a ton of them on swimming. Once you get into the crawl, you'll realize it's the most efficient ways to move through water, and your lap count will increase.
I'm definitely not breathing out properly. I know what you're talking about because my husband, who was once a certified lifeguard, has tried to teach me what you're describing. I inhale at all the wrong times and get a snootfull of water and flail around like an idiot every time. I have always had a very hard time doing anything that involved synchronizing my movements. I can't dance. I can't do aerobics with other people. I could not do those patty cake games girls do where they recite some kind of rhyme and clap hands with each other. I could not jump rope with other people holding the rope.

I do think at some point I will learn how to swim properly but it will take a lot of practice for me to have a breakthrough. Thanks for the suggestion of the videos. I'll give it a try. That may be a good way for me to take it all in and train my brain to synch up the breathing properly.

Alfred Jarry

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2015
USA
In my book counting counts as thinking and I agree that it is a great relief not to think while swimming: let the experience of swimming take place!
On my end, I use a SportCount ring to keep track of my lapcount and of the average times.
I am also looking forward to what appears to be a cutting edge activity tracker - with great (3D) feedback information - the second generation MOOV NOW. It is coming out this fall. They recommend two for swimming (or boxing!) but they are $40 off with pre-ordering. No, I don't work for them but I am just amazed by what they promise (as from their videos).

SlipSlidinAwa

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2014
Fort William, Scotland, UK
I like to think without having to concentrate on counting. I set the vibration alarm at 250m so I know which decade I'm in and if I forget I can look at the display but that costs me a few seconds. I'm also getting better times.

Alfred Jarry

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2015
USA
In my book counting counts as thinking and I agree that it is a great relief not to think while swimming: let the experience of swimming take place!
On my end, I use a SportCount ring to keep track of my lapcount and of the average times.
I am also looking forward to what appears to be a cutting edge activity tracker - with great (3D) feedback information - the second generation MOOV NOW. It is coming out this fall. They recommend two for swimming (or boxing!) but they are $40 off with pre-ordering. No, I don't work for them but I am just amazed by what they promise (as from their videos).

AFTER USING IT (I bought four, two for myself, and two as presents), I am amazed by the amount of data it provides me for a swim, recognizing which stroke I use, the velocity and timing for each stroke, the time for each lap (and the number of strokes) and each flip turn.
I am still exploring the amount of data I receive!
I don't believe any other tracker comes close to this.​
from my very first swim
(yes I am out of shape)
MoovNow2.jpg
MoovNow1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.