Mishaps Using PwnageTool

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by deafboy, Jun 24, 2010.

1. deafboy macrumors member

So I used pwnageTool 4.01 and the guide on redmonpie.com. After I had jailbroken OS 4.0, I restored all my contacts etc and it reverted me to apple-certified 4.0 :(. Is there any way to get back to a jailbroken phone? My guess is that i jailbroke it on my mac then used my PC since that's the computer that's sync'd with my phone that i screwed it up?

Any advice?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like you restored to the official 4.0 IPSW instead of the custom Pwnage one.
    Restoring from backup to get your contracts etc.. doesnt put you back to official firmware.
    If you have SHSH's saved for that iphone with an untethered JB you could downgrade. JB and then Restore again to Custom IPSW this time.

3. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

Ok lets go through this again to make sure i don't screw it up. by SHSH do you mean old restore files? I have one from 3.1.2 saved to this computer dated earlier this month. The custom firmware that I made using PwnageTool is on my mac which does not have my contacts etc saved because the music is not on that computer either (anyone know of a good freeware app to rip it to that computer?). Anyway when i plugged the iphone into my pc and hit restore, it didn't even give me the option to restore to an earlier date it just downloaded Apple's 4.0 and installed it for me etc...

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Let me go back and make sure we're talking about a 3GS model right?
    Or do you have a 3G?
    BTW every time you hit restore thru itunes it will restore your iphone to the latest official firmware.
    If you hold down Shift and hit restore on your PC then it will let you select an ipsw that you have saved somewhere on your computer.
    Thats how it always has been.

5. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

3G. I guess my question is once I have installed the custom firmware made by PwnageTool, how do i get my contacts etc back?

What do you mean by saved SHSH's?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

oh ok 3G model.
    You dont have to worry about SHSH's or any of that.
    Just hold down shift and click restore and select the custom 4.0 ISPW you created with pwnage.
    Then it will restore to a JB firmware.
    After that once the phone turns back on it will ask you if you want to restore from backup.
    You can do that to get your contacts and other stuff you had on your phone before.
    Good luck.

7. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

Do i need to be in DFU mode?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, try restore mode.

9. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

Appreciate the help. :)

10. deafboy thread starter macrumors member

I just used RedSn0w to JB from 4.0 and it worked flawlessly, and in about half the time of pwnageTool, what's the difference?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing, you can use either or.
    Pwnage lets you customize your IPSW in more detail but both accomplish the same at the end.
    Glad it worked out.