Misinformation: "Declined Comment" "Denies"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fahrwahr, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Fahrwahr macrumors member

The title of a ConsumerAffairs.com article claims that Apple is denying reports of an iPhone nano. However, the article states that Apple "declined to comment", meaning that Apple neither confirms nor denies. I guess proper logic must fall by the wayside in favor of sensationalist journalism. *sigh*

2. mugwump macrumors regular

Don't hold your breath. Apple still needs to launch this thing worldwide, and then the iPod versions.

This nano thing may be the nano widescreen iPod.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, technically, the OED, which they seem to like ;) defines deny in this way:

If they don't comment, then they seem to be denying under that definition. ;)

4. mrowl macrumors regular

FYI, Apple NEVER, comments on future products.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Except the iPhone this past January. Oh, and the OS X based iPods he told Apple employees about last week.

6. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

I personally don't see the appeal of an iPhone nano, since sacrificing screen size pretty much sacrifices what makes the iPhone interface so beautiful to begin with. But hey, I guess it's good for people who just want a phone that plays music, and of course, that looks great (which you know the Apple design team would make sure of).

7. pr5owner macrumors 65816

if its true, just hope they dont skimp out on the LCD this time lol, also randomly calling numbers isnt going to help anyone.

8. Fahrwahr thread starter macrumors member

That definition would lead one to the conclusion that Bill Clinton saying "I decline to comment on my relationship with Miss Lewinsky" would have had the same meaning as "I did not have sex with that woman (Miss Lewinsky)". (It's hard to punctuate the latter without making it look like he was talking TO Miss Lewinsky.)

Apple did DENY the questioners an answer (refuse to give (something requested or desired) to (someone)), but they did NOT deny the veracity of the question.