Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
In tomorrow's (Sunday's) advertisement suppliment, the Target ad has the "New" iPad for $499. Since the "New New" iPad isn't out yet, I assume they're talking about the older model, but hoping that people will be duped into buying it. Pretty low.

Stinkypalm

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2007
Haha Best Buy doing same thing. Got to move the old ones out I guess. Not everyone follows apple news like we do. People will buy these.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
In tomorrow's (Sunday's) advertisement suppliment, the Target ad has the "New" iPad for $499. Since the "New New" iPad isn't out yet, I assume they're talking about the older model, but hoping that people will be duped into buying it. Pretty low.

Is the "new" capitalized? Because if it is then theres a dozen people here who will endlessly lecture them about how stupid they are.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011

Link?

kyo27

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
These ads are printed several weeks in advance. They had no idea Apple would be releasing a new New Ipad.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
It's the Sunday newspaper insert...

So you won't see it online until tomorrow. However I went to target.com; on the homepage is a link that says "New iPads available Nov. 2nd". When you click on it, you go to a page with all the "new" (old) iPads.

http://www.target.com/sb/computers-...=9975894#?lnk=lnav_t_spc_x_x&intc=836551|null

It's easy to think that you're pre-ordering the 4th Gen iPads, although they do say in the specs that it's the A5X processor - but no average person will look at that (I want the one with the more GBs!!). Nowhere on the page is a note "old version" or the like.

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
So you won't see it online until tomorrow. However I went to target.com; on the homepage is a link that says "New iPads available Nov. 2nd". When you click on it, you go to a page with all the "new" (old) iPads.

http://www.target.com/sb/computers-...=9975894#?lnk=lnav_t_spc_x_x&intc=836551|null

It's easy to think that you're pre-ordering the 4th Gen iPads, although they do say in the specs that it's the A5X processor - but no average person will look at that (I want the one with the more GBs!!). Nowhere on the page is a note "old version" or the like.
maybe it's showing differently to me, but in that link the ad says "iPad mini - Coming November 2."

anyways, looks they've adopted Apple's own naming convention, calling listing 3rd gens as "The new iPad", and the 4th gens as "iPad with Retina"

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
This gets better. The new iPads ARE there. They're at the BOTTOM of the page. You scroll through the old iPads, past the iPad accessories - like the Magic Mouse (!!), and then you hit the new stuff. Maybe I'm being too suspicious, but there's got to be some finger crossing that people won't scroll down that far - especially when you put stuff like keyboards and mice in between. At the very top of the page, you have a non-working redirect box for the iPad Mini. Why have a redirect box - even a working one? Why not just put the Minis at the top of the page? When you click on it, it goes to a blank page, which makes you think "oh, the link isn't working - it's too early for the Mini iPad", but in reality it's diverting you from looking at the bottom for more.

To one of the earlier posters: Target is taking advantage here. How long before they're selling "Genuine" iPads - made by the Genuine iPad Company. Maybe a Sorny television - or maybe a Magnetbox?

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
This gets better. The new iPads ARE there. They're at the BOTTOM of the page. You scroll through the old iPads, past the iPad accessories - like the Magic Mouse (!!), and then you hit the new stuff. Maybe I'm being too suspicious, but there's got to be some finger crossing that people won't scroll down that far - especially when you put stuff like keyboards and mice in between. At the very top of the page, you have a non-working redirect box for the iPad Mini. Why have a redirect box - even a working one? Why not just put the Minis at the top of the page? When you click on it, it goes to a blank page, which makes you think "oh, the link isn't working - it's too early for the Mini iPad", but in reality it's diverting you from looking at the bottom for more.

To one of the earlier posters: Target is taking advantage here. How long before they're selling "Genuine" iPads - made by the Genuine iPad Company. Maybe a Sorny television - or maybe a Magnetbox?

You looked at the bottom. Guess its not that misleading. And they're using the same descriptions Apple uses, new (3rd gen) and retina (4th gen).

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Sounds like you're a bit of a spaz and jumped on MR instead of actually researching the situation.\
Targets ad seems legit to me.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
Sounds like you're a bit of a spaz and jumped on MR instead of actually researching the situation.\
Targets ad seems legit to me.

On further reflection, I think you are right. The ad in the paper is probably on the level, since it was most likely laid out in advance. I allowed that to color my opinion of what I was seeing on their website.

yespi

macrumors member
May 28, 2007
It is actually the "new" iPad since the iPad 3 was named so by apple and the latest iPad that went on preorder on Friday is called iPad 4.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
This wouldn't be an issue if apple didn't give the iPad these stupid names. iPad 3 and iPad 4 would've cleared up any confusion but because apple knew they'd be releasing an updated iPad months after the iPad 3, they decided to go with these screwy names.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.