Misleading Thread Titles

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ixodes, May 30, 2012.

1. ixodes, May 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012

ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Lately the _title's_ that users are posting for their threads, are in some cases, deliberately misleading.

They certainly do not follow forum rules. And it's getting worse.

I am quite surprised the mods put up with this, and I'm not being critical of them, but rather just sharing my thoughts... :)

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

We mods don't read every thread. There are just way to many of them. We depend very much on members reporting posts. If you see a post or thread thread that you believe violates the rules, then report it. I guarantee a mod will read your report and act on it if appropriate.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

FYI, we do change misleading thread titles when we spot them ourselves, e.g., changing "Need help" to "Need help with iPhone that won't power on".

We've changed hundreds of thread titles even though they weren't reported, as well as thread titles that were reported and needed to be changed. But there are over 400 to 500 new threads on this website on a typical day, so everyone's help in spotting problems is vital.

It's understandable why it's not apparent that the moderators are fixing such things all day long; you spot only the ones they didn't already fix!

4. ixodes thread starter macrumors 601

ixodes

Your points are well taken.

It's quite a busy place here. In an effort to help, I will be sure to report only the ones that are way out of line & inappropriate.

Thank you for your timely responses. :)

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do you have examples of these alleged misleading thread titles?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

"I want a 17 inch"

7. grapes911, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Most of the offending ones I see start out as "Help" or similar without really saying what the OP wants help with. I can't really find examples because when I see them, I change them to make them clearer. I don't know if they really are misleading, but they certainly aren't clear.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's worth noting that the moderators don't correct spelling or grammar errors in thread titles unless they are asked to, or the mistake makes the title confusing, and they don't mind the occasional whimsical thread title when users are being creative (I've done that kind of thing myself - example). The goal is to avoid having thread titles that are either intentionally or carelessly misleading or that lack any clue to the topic, as grapes911 pointed out. There's more leeway in the Community Discussion forum than in the technical forums.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Some misleading thread titles are spam and get deleted anyway :)

10. ixodes thread starter macrumors 601

ixodes

Here's just one of many. Entitled "Why I Like Windows 8", the OP goes on to trash it.

That said, the mods noticed my post, and were kind enough to respond explaining the procedure they follow.

Going forward I will simply report posts that are grossly out of line, in an effort to help out, considering the volume of posts here :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1367627&highlight=windows+8

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That thread is an interesting example. It was seemingly intended to be humorous, i.e., to make a point like "I'm glad for Windows 8 because it makes me appreciate Mac OS X".

Do you (and others who care to comment) think the title should be left as is, to keep the OP's point and joke intact, or do you think a title like this should be changed by the moderators? If so, what should it be changed to?

When you have a concern about a thread title, the correct action is to report the post to make sure the moderators see it and consider if it should be changed, but I'm curious what you would decide if it was your decision to make. Your feedback is appreciated. :)

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would leave it
    It is a "joke" of sorts and doesn't cause any problems because it is opinion based
    Unlike a thread title that purports to supply facts, etc.

I think changing this or similar thread titles limits personality and creativity

It isn't outrageous, and it isn't unclear (Help!)

This one isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I would leave it be. With 77 posts in it, the thread is well established enough that those participating in it know what it's about and what to look for in the Spy as it goes by. Changing it now, would probably get it lost in the mix and die sooner than it might naturally.

Only thread titles that are extremely generic, like "Help me: Urgent" are ones that I'll report. Usually, I leave all others alone.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As always, I think the mods should lay off all but the most egregious rules infractions.

15. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?