Mismarked Open Box iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mac.junkie, Mar 29, 2012.

1. mac.junkie macrumors member

mac.junkie

I was at Best Buy recently and discovered a mismarked open box iPad 2. It's a 3G (AT&T) 64GB that was marked down from $599 to $539. I, of course, bought it knowing it was priced as a WiFi-only model. The total with tax and recycle fee came to $587.

I really went in for a new iPad with 4G and retina display, and was intent on buying a 16GB AT&T. The price with tax and recycle fee of that one will be $683.

So... whaddya think? Should I keep the 3G 64GB deal, or spend $100 more and get a 4G 16GB? It just seems wrong to return the mismarked one though, as it's a pretty good score. :D

2. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Dang good find. Which location was that in? I'm from socal too lol

I think it would depend on if you need the increased capacity for local storage and/or the LTE speeds.

3. BFizzzle, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

lol just sell the missmarked one on craiglist for more then you paid for it.. :)

4. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Haha i was thinking the same thing if you can make a profit. Then add that to the extra 100 you were willing to spend and get a 32gb LTE.

5. mac.junkie thread starter macrumors member

mac.junkie

San Diego. Was thinking of selling, but it'll be pretty much even by the time tax is included. Local CL has one for $575.

6. number84 macrumors 6502

Will you use all 64gb? If yes then you scored. If no then now you don't have a retina display.

7. mac.junkie thread starter macrumors member

mac.junkie

Excellent point. No, I'm really good at file management with Dropbox so probably won't use 64. However, 16 might be pushing it. I predominantly want it for business use such as annotating docs in meetings, reading pdf's, books, mags, newspapers, etc., and I know the retina display looks awesome in those instances.

8. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Out of curiosity, do the serial numbers match? The one from the box and the one on the iPad itself. I assume you just looked at the boxed outside and saw that it was a iPad AT&T 3G. Just curious if maybe it was the wrong iPad that was put into the box. This may hinder you from returning it. That, or they may remember after the fact when they scan the UPC on the box. Especially since the open box price was edited to match the open box price.

In any case, I'd rather just sell it and use the money to buy the new iPad. Or, this is really horrible and probably illegal and fraud. But you can return it, remove the sticker and say you lost the receipt. Say you don't have the card it was purchased on so they can't do a receipt lookup. At that point, they usually default to the current market price. The most they can do is give you store credit with that refund amount. It's bad, I know. Have I done it? Yes. A lot of retailers accept items receipts or receipt lookups, only your Driver's License is needed.

9. mac.junkie thread starter macrumors member

mac.junkie

Absolutely the numbers (serial and IMEI) match the box. In fact, I always check open box items BEFORE leaving the store. I had an incident at Best Buy once where the numbers didn't match (another open box). I called right away and spoke to a manager, then took it back the same day. At any rate, I had the sales guy open the box and we checked before I left with the "discounted" 64 3G.

10. WindWaker macrumors regular

Honestly, it might be a bit of a hassle (or not), but it sounds to me you'd be better off with getting the 3. The increase in pixels should help your eyes out (especially based on what you're saying about doing a lot of reading and editing). If you can do cloud storage, besides $$$, you sound like you would be much better off with the 3.

11. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

Yeah good luck returning something ~$500 without a receipt to Best Buy. That won't happen.

12. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm not proud of it, but I have done it before. Just as long as they can verify it is a product they carry in their store. Have you? Or are you assuming because of the cost? All retailers are the same regarding non-receipt returns. There is no dollar limit. They just want to make sure they can put it back in their stock and sell it. Big retailers can take the loss if the non-receipt return if the actual product was not bought there or sold for a lower price. However, they want to make sure the funds stay within the store hence store credit.

Target has a 5 item limit of non-receipt returns. It is link with your Driver's License. This policy is hardly ever advertised, but I assure you it works. I've done it and I know others who have also.

13. mac.junkie thread starter macrumors member

mac.junkie

Yeah, I could try it. But they'll probably ask for the card I used to buy it and can look it up that way. I suppose it's work a shot, although I'll have to peel the open-box stickers off of it the top of the box. Maybe I'll call a store other than the one I bought it from and ask what to do if I lost the receipt.

14. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

As an Operations Manager at Best Buy that will not happen.

15. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

ok. kudos.