Misplaced window, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by okayokay, Sep 18, 2011.

1. okayokay macrumors newbie

Hello guys, I searched everywhere for a solution, but I couldn't find any.

I use my macbook air with a 2nd display and whenever I disconnect the display, some programs keep opening where the 2nd display is supposed to be. And I can't move them to the macbook display.

One solution would be to turn on "Mirror Display" at Display Preferences, but this option doesn't appear there.

I use Lion.

thaks in advance!

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

What happens if you use expose? Or click on window and clicking "bring all to front"?

3. okayokay thread starter macrumors newbie

when using expose, the misplaced window shows up at my main monitor, but when I select it, it just goes back to where the other monitor is supposed to be. the same happens when I use mission control.

Nothing happens when I click "Bring All to Front".

4. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

5. okayokay thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way to use it in Lion?

6. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Swipe 4 fingers up on the track pad, or click the icon in the quick launch bar.

Attached Files:

7. okayokay thread starter macrumors newbie

oh I didnt get that you meant mission control. I thought "launch control" was something else.

well, as I said in this post, it also doesnt work:

8. okayokay thread starter macrumors newbie

9. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Have you tried using mission control then dragin that window to a new space within mission control?

10. okayokay thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, weirdly it does move to a new space but, again, it moves to where the 2nd monitor should be.

11. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

Try changing the screen resolution to something smaller. Or plug in the external go into the display prefs then hit gather windows.

That's all I've got. What program is it? You could always just kill some preference lists too.

12. okayokay thread starter macrumors newbie

Yesssss!!! I finally found a solution ! :D:D:D

Well I have this app called BetterTouchTools, which is really great and you can configure any gesture or keyboard shortcut to do a any of a list of actions. And I found one action that moves the window straight to the right or left (Move Window Right/Move Window Left). My macbook stays at the right side of the 2nd monitor, so I created a gesture to move the window right.

So I select the misplaced window using Mission Control, then I make the gesture and the window jumps straight to my main monitor. Problem solved! :)

Thanks for everyone who helped!