Missed Call From Myself?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lightey, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Lightey macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 4 - 32 GB Black on AT&T, running iOS 5.1.1. Lately, I've been receiving "Missed Calls" from my own cell phone number, and I'm wondering how this could be happening. Is this a glitch? Any help would be appreciated.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

3. Lightey thread starter macrumors regular

Impossible. It's a missed call from the same phone that has the missed call.

4. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Back to the Future? So maybe either a service call (I think maybe some providers call and it comes up as your own number), pocket dial, or maybe some kind of software glitch which you could try updates/ restoring your iPhone. Sorry I can't actually be of much help.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If you call your own cellphone number from the same phone it automatically goes to your voicemail box.

I just did it.

6. TitanApe macrumors member

7. joec1101 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like Caller ID hacking. I've heard of apps that do that on jailbroken phones.

8. DJinTX macrumors 6502

This just happened to me, at 4:05am. I was asleep after a late night and didn't get to bed until 3am. I was very tired so I'm not sure what happened, but something woke me up at 4:05, and my phone screen was lit up with a missed call from myself. Something weird is going on here.

9. praterkeith macrumors 6502

praterkeith

It’s your future self calling you to warn you about something. Answer it and ask them who will win the World Series so I can go ahead and place my bet!

10. mizvalorie macrumors regular

Your phone number was ghosted. Lots of spammers are doing this nowadays.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sometimes, when I'm bored.
    I call myself.
    Or I bring up threads from 2012:D

12. orev macrumors 6502

Voice spammers and scammers do this a lot to try to get you to answer. They are using VOIP services to spoof phone numbers. They had been doing it a lot with numbers in the same exchange, but maybe they started spoofing the number they are calling.

13. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

was at dinner with my parents a week ago. within 2 minutes we all got a phone call showing that we were calling ourself. looked it up and it was spam.

14. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 6502a

PhillyGuy72

Either pranked by someone (there are apps, websites where one can enter "Call from [Your number]" - they enter your number and it will show you calling you )

OR Spoofing from some scammer / robocaller! I get these also or some very similar variation of my number - the area code and first 3 digits. That angers me to no end! :mad::mad:

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I've noticed a few of these myself in recent weeks.

Disclaimer: This is intended as a serious reply. Thank you.

16. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

Someone messed up: per a different thread, they should be using their Mr. Fusion powered Delorean to get an X, not resurrect this thread from 5yrs ago.

But since this zombie thread is alive, a plug for Hiya app. Been using that for a couple of months now and love it. Has an option to send calls with same first 6 digits not in Contacts to voicemail. My phone has been pretty much 99% silent re: spam/scams/telemarketers. Get one occasionally sneak through, but can block that and report that number to Hiya to include in their spam database.

(I too have missed a call from me earlier in the year)

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    But I didn't feel like talking to myself so I send it to voicemail:)