Missed extended warranty deadline

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kkamin, Mar 20, 2010.

1. kkamin macrumors member

I spaced the one year window for the extended warranty for my Macbook. I'm 2 and 1/2 months past the one year mark. Do you think Apple would still sell me the warranty? Nothing is wrong with the laptop, but I would love to have some peace of mind.

Thanks.

2. alskdj macrumors member

Yes and no. You'll still be able to buy the warranty, just not apply it

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You'd be wasting your money to buy it now ... they will not allow you to activate it on that machine.

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Even one day over is too late. This is why I recommend buying Applecare at the same time as the machine (although not necessarily from Apple). It's only a small part of the total cost then but seems much more expensive later.

Put the money aside to pay for repairs and with luck all will be fine. Best wishes.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

call apple and ask them. be nice and maybe they are nice to you. beg, tell them you need the machine, you're a student whatever. you may be lucky even if it's unlikely.

or sell the machine with a small loss at ebay now before new ones come out. then buy a new one with apple care in on or two month.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have never heard of Apple making an exception in real life or even on this Forum

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

There were a few posts (i don't remember when and who) were people had problems with their Mac's just after the warranty ended. The people claimed in their posts that Apple allowed them to purchase Applecare after the fact when they were nicely begging for help. As I said unlikely but worth a try if you think you need Applecare.

I personally think I won't buy Applecare in the future (I'm not sure though) because its about 20% of the price of a MBP. And with my current MBP I bought Applecare but I dropped the MBP and it's dented. So the Applecare is most likely voided now and the money for Applecare most likely wasted.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Don't guess. Bring it in and ask them "did I void my warranty?" and if so, get get a refund on the remaining portion of your contract left over. If Apple refuses to service your machine anymore they can't keep your $$$ for services they won't provide.